terminal bud knots up

I started three almond and three cherry seedlings. Both types are prunus, with similar leaves and growth pattern - very fast. After four plants grew to varying heights the stalk growth halted and the terminal bud started producing leaves twisted in a tight knot. Otherwise the plants appear very healthy. Anyone have any ideas? If I pinch out the knot will the plants sprout branches and grow into decent trees? Or are they doomed - infected with some disease?

Reply to
rtdrury

It is a Gaul / Gall , I am not sure of the spelling , my volunteer Cherry trees get it -- needs to be sprayed , ask at your local nursery... You didn't mention your zone to know when to spray it ... Not that I know, but some one else might :)

Best of luck! BG

Reply to
BG

Thanks BG. Maybe it is a gall, even though I could not find a photo of a prunus with gall to verify. I had to snip the stalk well below the problem node and the almond seedling sprouted branches which seem healthy so far. Plucking out the bud wasn't enough. It would simply sprout another infected bud.

Reply to
rtdrury