Technical boy type input sought

I want to buy a garden mulcher. I have in mind a big powerful brute of a thing that I can use without calling for male muscle power to start it by pulling the start cord or needing help from Him in the His Shed to help move around the garden.

That means it must operate by electricity (and I do have hugely long power cords and external power points) and it must have wheels and be tiltable and moveable a bit like a wheelbarrow.

I want to shred general garden crud for composting or putting in the chook run for them to turn and poop on and I also need to shred branches up to perhaps 3 inches across. Of course I have no idea whatsoever of what size motor I need or any of the techie type stuff I should know or think about before buying.

Him in His Shed will not be helpful in providing any answers as it's not one of the things HE would want to buy. I won't be using his money so need some neutral male (or techie female) input.

Any comments on the following ones I'm looking at?:

And if none of these appeal, what should I be asking/thinking about please?

Reply to
Farm1

The 2nd one has the most power at 20 hp vs the others 7 - but not the highest price . I think I'd be researching that one , customer reviews etc . More power means you don't have to work it as close to it's full capacity , and unless the motor is complete junk it should last longer .

Reply to
Snag's Shop

I doubt very much that an electric motor mulcher will do what you want, they just don't have the grunt, the biggest are about 3hp from memory. I have tried them and they jam on anything much thicker than your finger.

The first and third you list are 200cc, 7hp petrol engine with electric start, the second is 480cc 20hp electric start. Electric start means you don't have to pull the cord like a small mower just hit the button like a ride-on. On the face of it the more power the better. They weigh in at 70 to 110kg so you won't be lifting them and dragging them about by hand would be a pretty heavy wheelbarrow. It looks like they have a hitch that might go on a ride-on mower or maybe a tractor which would be very handy especially on a hill. The TANSTAAFL law applies, if you want strength and power it isn't going to be light. In any case some weight will be good to stop it jumping about if you stuff a big branch in it.

My inclination is to go for the big one (the second) as it has plenty of power and a good set of accessories and spares come in the box but first try to find somebody local who has one and see what they think. If the vendor is proud of his product he may supply a list of purchasers. Also talk to your local chainsaw/mower bloke about the brand, whether he can get parts and maintain it etc.

David Hare-Scott

most power cords can't push through enough juice to get a 3 inch branch shredded.

go with the 20hp and electric start, make sure it has a hitch to move with the garden tractor.

around here i would have liked a shredder at times, but it is turning out that burying materials works better and is much more peaceful.

woody chunks get buried deeper than branches or small pieces, eventually the worms and fungi take care of them all.

larger pieces left on the surface get colonised by ants or beetles, the chooks would break them apart going after the bugs eventually.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Excellent comments. Thank you kindly to all who provided input. I've now got a good basef rom which to work.

Reply to
Farm1

I'm coming late to this thread but, here's my 2 cents worth. First of all, IMO, unless you are only shredding leaves, electric won't do the job. Shredding garden waste doesn't require a lot of power but, chipping large branches does. When it comes to chipping branches, more power is always better, so the 20 HP sounds like the best deal. But, with a listed retail price of $3250.00 being sold for only $729.00 it seems almost too good to be true. I have a 10 HP Troy-Bilt chipper shredder, purchased about 20 years ago, long before the Troy-Bilt name was purchased by MTD and the products cheapened down. At 10 HP, shredding all the garden waste is a breeze but chipping large branches is more of a chore even though I regularly sharpen the chipper blade. Like many other products these days, this Hungry Beast may be made in China and sold under various brand names with widely varying list prices. In my experience the cutting edge hardness of Chinese products like chainsaw chains leaves a lot to be desired and they tend to dull very quickly. Also, the stated weight on this machine seems to be on the light side compared with some others in the same capacity range. Try to check with the owner of one of these machines and get an honest opinion of their value. Good luck.

Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Ross