Sweetcorn

My children and I are growing corn and seem to be doing rather well.
Roughly 10 planted and so far 5 have tassels. Our problem is they are all male, will they bear cobs if there are no females at all?
--
jimswiffy

There is no male or female in sweet corn. If conditions are right ears will appear when the tassels start blooming.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:02:10 +0000, jimswiffy

Seriously? I think you're putting us on but, if not, how do you tell they're all male?
Ross.
Ross@home wrote:

Pull their genes down.
David

pull back the shuck?
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;897579']Ross@home wrote:-

Funny ;-) Male corn have the tassels right at the top. Female have theirs half way down the plant. They are self pollenated by the wind blowing them together. So much for coming on here to get tips!
--
jimswiffy

@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

David comes up with a keyboard wrecker every once on awhile.
There are no male and female plants.
The tassel is male. The silk that you see, which are stigmas are female.
Both come on the same plant and come along about the same time. The tassels are a few days earlier. You probably won't notice the where cobs will be until you see the silk.
The answers are out there....
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/crops/Pollination.htm
http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0128.html
http://www.gardenguides.com/127380-sweet-corn-pollinate.html
http://www.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-mainmenu-321/gardening-mainmenu - 301/891
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Uhhh...., nah I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

HaHaHahehehe Nice one David
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:42:23 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

That HAS to be the best line of the month. Thanks for a real guffaw.
Ross.