sweetcorn help

My sweetcorn are going great this year despite the weather. However I've got a small problem :)

On all the hobs (or is it cobs?) The stingy bits have been eaten by something. By the millions of slugs I seems to have on my allotment this year I'm assuming it's them. Hopefully they've already been pollinated. So far I have peeled back the skin to let more of the stringy bits out.

Any more advice? Has this happened to anyone else?

Reply to
jason2234

It could be birds or rodents too.

David Hare-Scott

Go to a nursery and ask for a snail/slug bait in which the active ingredient is "iron phosphate" (actually it is ferric phosphate, but that's another story). It is safe for vegetables. Non-poisonous to pets, unless you have a pet gastropod. It is even a food supplement for humans, but deadly to snails/slugs. Forty-eight hours later, 98% of you slug and snail problems will be history. You will need to reapply every couple of weeks, but gives nearly 100% protection.

You can still peel back the jacket of the corn a wee bit, and brush the the tassels against the silks to pollinate the corn. A lot of work, but you'll get a crop.

Reply to
Billy