Nematodes

Has anyone had any luck with beneficial nematodes in tryin to control fleas? TIA

Reply to
TI99A

I can't say they controlled fleas, but I have used them each season and my cats seemed not to be bothered. However, trapped squirrels are loaded with them. The difference might be the cats are primarily on the ground and stay at home whereas the squirrels inhabit the entire neighborhood.

I am one of those unfortunates that a flea will find my ankles, and I've not had a problem at home though I occasionally do at parks and at other houses.

Whether the nematodes help is anyone's guess, but they must do a lot positive as they and the ladybugs are spring additions to my yard and garden. My garden has been very fortunate with the only problems discussed here that have manifested in my garden is blossom end rot on some tomatoes last year. That seems to have been a watering issue since it has not repeated.

There are many herbs that can be planted to also discourage fleas, Pennyroyal being one which also makes a great (and pleasant smelling) ground cover. There are others also; perhaps others will name some of those.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Somewhat... but they still work best in combination with topical treatments on the dogs.

At least that was my experience this year. :-)

K.

Reply to
Katra

Reply to
Thomas

Nematodes may help... but nematodes die very quickly if conditions aren't perfect. Tried them for termites... no luck.

Reply to
Happybattles

conditions need not be "perfect" for nematodes. It does need to be moist. It very well may be that the nematodes you bought were dead before you applied them.

Reply to
Thomas

And . . . the ones I purchase have directions that say they must *not* be applied in direct sunlight. An overcast or even misty day would be ideal.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Hi Dave you should try growing Kestrel seed potatoes as they are slug resistant.

Nematodes could cause you more problems with your potatoes.

Regards Iain

Reply to
Tattieman

I think he's referring to beneficial nematodes. They are good. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

You're probably talking about potato cyst nematode or some such.

Com-d is asking about predatory nematodes.

Reply to
phorbin

Had good success with them up to this year. But the wet summer overcame the advantages and the slug population increased dramatically despite the nematodes. What would have happened if I had not used them is anyone's guess. Maybe I should have applied another lot later in the season.

Something I've noticed though, is that not all damage to potatoes is caused by slugs. This year I found manure worms were a culprit and quite a few worms had buried themselves into the potatoes. The problem occurred mostly around the tubers that were affected with blight. I seems manure worms love blight.

PDM.

Reply to
PDM

For slugs, try pans of beer. They are especially partial to dark ale. :-)

I kid you not.

Reply to
Omelet

Iron phosphate = Sluggo

It made gardening much less frustrating for me this year:O)

Reply to
Billy