sweet peppers inside for winter?

It's starting to be freezing temperatures here, so I've dug up and potted a bunch of sweet red pepper plants that I started from seed last winter. They had a good growing season, and I can't bear to see my babies die out there!
I understand that peppers are a perennial, so if I succeed in keeping them alive until May, it seems I would be way ahead of a normal planting of young plants with these oldsters??
Any experience out there in wintering over sweet pepper plants? I half-tried once, and about all that happened was I was growing aphids inside :-(
David
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 14:17:22 -0800, "David Auker"

I'm growing peppers inside this winter, but they aren't over-wintering. I started these from seeds this fall (indoors). So no aphids.
So far, they're doing very well. They're blooming now.
If they continue to do well, next spring I could transplant them outdoors (sort of the reverse of what you want to do).
Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.
David Auker wrote:

I took peppers indoors too. To get rid of aphids, put the pot into the bath tub once a week and gave the plant a shower. Large fruiting peppers stops producing indoors but small fruited ones like Jingle Bells can still produce a handful of new fruits through the winter. You need a really big pot, atleast 5gal, and a sunny window. The only problem with keeping a potted pepper was that after 2 years, the plant became woody and slowly died on its own.
After a winter inside, how did your plants produce, when you put them back outside for their second season?
: I took peppers indoors too. To get rid of aphids, put the pot into : the bath tub once a week and gave the plant a shower. Large fruiting : peppers stops producing indoors but small fruited ones like Jingle : Bells can still produce a handful of new fruits through the winter. : You need a really big pot, atleast 5gal, and a sunny window. The only : problem with keeping a potted pepper was that after 2 years, the plant : became woody and slowly died on its own.
The large fruited peppers were not very productive compared to younger plants the following season. Jingle Bells had shot up to almost 5 feet during the winter and was quite productive the following summer.
: The large fruited peppers were not very productive compared to younger : plants the following season. Jingle Bells had shot up to almost 5 : feet during the winter and was quite productive the following summer.
I wonder how sweet peppers fare in a climate where they get to "self-actualize" as perennials, with no hint of killing frost? How long do they live? Maybe they start losing productivity compared to younger plants?
David Oregon

Yeah. Seems to me many definitions of annual are frost-dependent.
Here's an interesting site related to peppers:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/caps_spp.cfm
: wrote: : : >I wonder how sweet peppers fare in a climate where they get to : >"self-actualize" as perennials, with no hint of killing frost? How long do : >they live? Maybe they start losing productivity compared to younger plants? : : Yeah. Seems to me many definitions of annual are frost-dependent. : : Here's an interesting site related to peppers: : : http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/caps_spp.cfm
Great site - thanks! Daivd
I overwintered a sweet pepper last winter but it did not do very well, I had peppers about all winter but it was ones that were already on the plant when I put it in the greenhouse. I put it out in the spring and it did not produce well. The new ones I started from seed had more peppers and earlier than it did!!!! Hope you have better luck.
--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach,SC