Sunset Apple

Hi all,
I have a Sunset Apple tree that we have inherited with our new house. Its about five feet tall which, I understand from a few websites, is about the size they supply plants to start with. I am also told that pruned it should easily maintain a height of 6-8 feet (ideal for me in its position) or 12-15 if left untouched.
Then it mentions that the tree is on a rootstock of MM-106
I understand what they mean by rootstock but exactly what is MM-106 and where did the numbering system come from?
Hi Steve, The 'M' series of rootstocks derives from the East Malling Research Station in England. The original Malling-Merton 106 introduced by them in 1969 has since been mostly replaced with a more virus-free clone called EMLA 106. It results in a tree about 65% the size of a standard size. There are a whole series of these rootstocks including EMLA 7(55-60% dwarfing), EMLA 9 (30-40% dwarfing), EMLA 26 (40%), EMLA 27 (15-20% dwarfing, one of the smallest trees in this series), and EMLA 111 (75% and similar to the 106, but more vigorous). There are other rootstocks with this series naming like Geneva, which comes from a Cornell project. There are also more Malling versions that I have not mentioned. You can find a more complete list in the book Fruit, Berry, and Nut Inventory available from the Seed Saver Exchange or possibly a Botanic Library.
Sherwin D.