Summer Friends

    Picked up the camera on my way back with the scissors Friday:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/summerguest1.jpg     Yesterday, there were 8; today, 6 remain.     They have done a number on the parsely. Boy, will the only-neighbor-who-cooks be surprised next time she makes tabouli!     How long will they continue to eat? I only have the one parsley. I'm not going to have to buy them a plant of their own, am I?
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

They will continue to eat until a predator gets them, they run out of food or metamorphose. I suggest that you choose option one and use that old organic grubicide: treadonem.
David

North American flutterby. I don't begrudge them a grocery store parsley, which will recover unless they just eat it all. Guess I need to study the life cycle to determine whether they're going to pupate in the container soil.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

We grow rue for the swallowtails.

Yeah, definitely a swallowtail. I'd suggest relocating it to a sacrificial parsley plant away from the main garden. --S.

three, although, I didn't exactly conduct a thorough search. They've moved to the adjacent rosemary. They never made it down to the parsley's crown so there's still lots of vigorous new growth. I'll prune it back when I'm certain the beasties are gone. It's not exactly a close family friend just a produce department plant that I stuck in the container with some rosemary last October. I'm no photographer but for the idly curious:
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/hidingout.jpg
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/willhemakeit.jpg
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/baddayatrosemaryville.jpg
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/somebodygoforhelp.jpg
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.

<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/baddayatrosemaryville.jpg
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/somebodygoforhelp.jpg Well for someone who claims not to be a photographer, 3 of those snaps were very good. Sure is a pretty wee beastie.
FarmI wrote:

And it is such fun watching the ants eat them alive.

Yes, that was bit off-putting. However given that I would have squashed them for eating the parsley in the first place, I'd be a hypocrite to complain about their imminent demise.

in progress. Although, I'm sure I played no small part in their being there in the first place, I wouldn't have tried to interfere. It helps to think of "them" as organic clockwork; LOL! ...and ain't that just the way of the world....
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.

What sort of catepillar is that? It's quite a pretty wee beasty, but I think I'd prefer the parsley to them so would end up squashing them.