Strawberry glut

I have just picked about 2kg (6lb) of strawberrys and more will be ready next week. Other than jam how can I preserve them or keep them in a usable form? Is there some sort of frozen dessert or sauce that uses up lots?
I am not sending them anywhere so don't bother asking.
David

They can be rinsed well and frozen in plastic bags or containers. My grandmother used to can them in a sugar syrup. In both cases they lose their consistency and in canning they lose their color. However, come winter, the taste of strawberries is unbeatable.

Clean some and halve them, put them into a quart jar firmly but not tightly packed.
Cover them with vodka.
They will fade in color (get very pale) but still be edible and the strawberry infused vodka is fantastic. ;-)
Sweeten with sugar as desired.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

On Good Eats, Alton Brown suggested freezing them using dry ice as the initial freezing method. His reasoning was colder temps = faster freeze = smaller ice crystals. You might get away with just using your freezer.
Halloween's coming up, so just forget the trick or treating and have a potluck! Bring strawberry pie, an extremely simple dish. Simply slice your strawberries, and use a pie crust (premade from the store's great) and strawberry glaze. Combine the strawberry glaze and berries, and put in the crust. Serve alone or with whipped cream.
You might want to try making a strawberry sorbet. I've never tried anything but store bought, but it's good.
Puckdropper

Freeze them in lots. They will turn to a mush on thawing but you can use then as a much or a puree in smoothies, on ice creamas a sauce, in souffles, as a spread on sponge cakes, pancakes, pikelets, crepes etc.

That would be a very early crop for here. I forget where you are - northern NSW??????
How many plants do you have?
wrote in message

northern
Mid north coast, just north of Newcastle.

Not really sure, the bed is about 5m x 0.5m
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

What about dehydrating?

usable
I haven't tried it on strawbs and I don't have a functioning dehydrator right now. What would they be like? How would I use them?
David

I still vote for at least a small try at the Vodka preserve.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

I did them with sugar and brandy yesterday. Desert last night was with a little cream - yummo. I will freeze the remaining mix in small containers today.
David

Very cool. We all envy you. ;-d
I've done brandied fruit for Christmas gifts in the past in nice bottles. That and herbed vinegar.
I start out with Vodka or Everclear to preserve the fruit, then strain that off and add brandy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Might I assume that you *reserve* the strained vodka for "other uses"? ;-)
Charlie

Of course! <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Why don't you just start out with the brandy? It will preserve the fruit just as well as Vodka.
In article

Faster results. Higher Octane.
I only soak it in the stronger stuff for one day.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
You could try making fruit leather. You cook the fruit down with sugar, like making jam, then spread in a thin layer in a glass pan, and lay it out in the sun for a few days. Resulting product is thin and intensely flavored.
Look up a real recipe - this is off the top of my head. We made this out of apricots and plums when I was a kid since that's what our gluts were.
Susan B.

As you do raisins, in snacks or in baked goods such as breads.
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I think I've only had some in trail mix or something. Haven't dehydrated any myself. I just read something on it, after I shot off my opinion/suggestion, and it said they're like foam. DOesn't sound that appetizing actually. I guess it's foam with taste.