Spacing

Do you use minimum distance between plants or do you give them lots of room to grow prize winning specimens?
I've found giving more than the recommended spacing gets better results.

My SFG-type plantings tend toward minimum spacing in high-density beds so the foliage creates moisture conserving, weed inhibiting shade.