Soil Depth for Raspberries / Currants

My new allotment was dug up by the council with a massive digger, so there's lots of debris (boulders, wood boards, etc) buried in the soil. The soil is very heavy and wet.
Last weekend I started to dig out a trench for raspberries, and holes for red/white/blackcurrants. After about 1 or 2 spits deep, more often than not I hit rubbish that took herculean efforts to dig out, and very soon my back gave up.
I'd planned to dig 2 spits deep and then add manure to the trench. If there's debris at the 2 spits depth, is it okay to leave it there and hope the roots find their way around, or does it all have to come out?
Thanks.
Mel wrote:

My raspberries are in a place that was formerly a dog run paved with limestone. Rather than dig the limestone out, I covered with wood chips and planted. This was in 1996, and they are still going strong. My guess is that you will be fine.