small carrots

I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.
--
jenhicks

On 11/05/10 6:01 AM, sometime in the recent past jenhicks posted this:

You've got to thin them. The soil needs to be deep and friable. But mostly, carrots need thinning.
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

There is also the idea of pelleting. Basically it is taking very small seeds and blending them in mud. Dry them run thru a sieve and plant.
Some places do it for you.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6371-bolero-f1-pelleted-og.aspx
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden