Slugs

Page 2 of 2

    No doubt, it's the same ingredient that makes one bottle of beer never enough!
--
Derald

Do you mean the little "fun-guys", themselves, or chemicals that they produce, like ethanol? Unlike Coopers, I'm not familiar with any USian beers that are "krausened" (leaving yeast in the bottle).
I've never had good luck using beer on snails and slugs. Maybe it is the lack of yeast in the beer, or that most USian beer is so highly processed, that our "refined" European snails may not recognize it as beer. Micro-brewery beers, on the other hand, are too good, and too expensive to put out for the marauding gangs of gastropods that used to menace my garden.
I've seen very few slugs and snail this wet spring (19C and rain today). When I put a plant in the ground now, it is still there the next day, not just a green stump where the plant used to be. This I attribute to my reliance on ferric phosphate (iron phosphate) baits.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
wrote in message

:-)) Perhaps you need to go buy some Vegemite or Marmite or Promite :-))))) If you don't like the taste of it on your toast, (and anyone with any degree of discernment, style and class will of course like it on their toast) you can use it on the gastropods.

What? It's better than Nuss Nuggat with raspberry jam on toast? I already have enough habits, most of them are bad, but I await the opportunity to give it a go ;O)
I'm not sure what my formerly rampaging gangs of snails and slugs are having for breakfast in that Gastropod Valhalla where they now reside.
Saw your waterspouts on the telly, very impressive, WOW.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
In article

Whoops, Nuss Nuggat is what they call it in Germany, in the States we use the French brand, Nutella.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
wrote in message

I'm sure we've all got a few habits we should give up.

I do hope there is a gardener there with large boots who likes nothing so much as the satisfying crunch as the boot comes down on those soft slimy bodies.

I just had to do a google. Very big and scary looking beasties. Wish those selfish sods would send some decent rain in my direction - it always seems to fall over the coastal cites these days. Sigh.
FarmI wrote:

We got 70mm this week and 30mm last week, I'll email you some.

if you can or can find a way... get some COPPER "shavings" and place them around the plants upon which you wish to save. you can usually find or buy copper shavings at lumber/timber yards; metal 'carving' stores; best bet, tho' is through an art supply store; even a frame shop is sure to have what you need!! ---- if you go to one or all of those places, you can tell them your sad story, even bring a leaf or 2 with the place(s) you go to and lay it on thickly. OR!! BEST THING of ALL? get up at dawnlight or e'vning light; grab a pair of tongs which REALLY close tightly; and a 3lb. EMPTY can of coffee in which you fill with approximately 1/2 of the can with salt water; ratio of salt:water... 2/3 table salt to 1/3 tap water. when you find tracks of the slugs, use the tongs OR a garden-gloved hand to pick up EVERY slug you see and place DIRECTLY into salt water!! do NOT for ANY REASON fill the can with PLAIN water, dump slugs/snails into THAT and then go to dump can of plain water, slugs/ snails onto nearest concrete or cemented pavement and try to stomp the life out of them..... because, GET THIS: ALL SNAILS &/OR SLUGS lead a double life: they are ALL hermaphrodites--meaning they are all male and female at the same time AND the females carry their eggs which are encased in a plastic-type of casing which is ALMOST impossible to break unless you have a KNIFE with you to CUT INTO the casings!!!!!!!!!!!! on the other hand, the salt water "smothers" them--cuts off their ability to survive: TOTALLY!!!!!!!
PHEW!!!!!!!! i sure hope this answers your question(s)?!!!?
warm regards from "suddenly" zone 6 in western new hamster.
Skylark;924798 Wrote: > On May 29, 8:56*am, Bennewby snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk

> using

> but

try filling a old pair of tights with road salt place them on ya border FOR AN INSTANT CURE !!!
--
Urban Wildlife

The above may be someone's idea of a joke, but to be sure that there is no miss understanding, adding salt to garden soil is a very dumb idea.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_salinity> Causes of soil salinity Salt-affected soils are caused by excess accumulation of salts, typically most pronounced at the soil surface. Salts can be transported to the soil surface by capillary transport from a salt laden water table and then accumulate due to evaporation. They can also be concentrated in soils due to human activity, for example the use of potassium as fertilizer, which can form sylvite, a naturally occurring salt. As soil salinity increases, salt effects can result in degradation of soils and vegetation. Salinization is a process that results from: high levels of salt in the soils. landscape features that allow salts to become mobile. (movement of water table) climatic trends that favor accumulation. human activities such as land clearing, aquaculture activities and the salting of icy roads.[2]
Consequences of salinity The consequences of salinity are detrimental effects on plant growth and yield damage to infrastructure (roads, bricks, corrosion of pipes and cables) reduction of water quality for users, sedimentation problems soil erosion ultimately, when crops are too strongly affected by the amounts of salts. Salinity is an important land degradation problem. Soil salinity can be reduced by leaching soluble salts out of soil with excess irrigation water. Soil salinity control involves watertable control and flushing in combination with tile drainage or another form of subsurface drainage.[4][5] A comprehensive treatment of soil salinity is available from the FAO.[6] High levels of soil salinity can be tolerated if salt-tolerant plants are grown. Sensitive crops lose their vigor already in slightly saline soils, most crops are negatively affected by (moderately) saline soils, and only salinity resistant crops thrive in severely saline soils. The University of Wyoming [7] and the Government of Alberta [8] report data on the salt tolerance of plants.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
Urban Wildlife wrote:

Salt is not good for the soil, your cure may turn out worse than the problem.
David
On Sun, 29 May 2011 12:56:22 +0000, Bennewby wrote:

The iron phosphate slug killers are safe,
http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/sluggo.html