Rogue Pumpkin questions

A pumpkin grew out of our compost bin. I've never grown pumpkins and I have a few questions...

First, the plant was huge, it was 25 feet long and 15 feet wide before it grew the first pumpkin, is that normal?

The pumpkin has been growing fast and the vines are dying around it. The squash did the same thing so I suppose that's normal.

The pumpkin is about 6-8 weeks old and the fruit is bright orange. When do I harvest this monster?

There is one more pumpkin starting to grow... but most of the vine is dead now, is it likely to get anymore big pumpkins?

Any care tips?

Reply to
Mac Cool

Well, maybe a little larger than usual.

Seems typical.

When the rind is too hard to pierce with a thumbnail and the stem is as hard (or harder) than wood. You can't necessarily go by color, as there are strains of pumpkins that color up early ('precocious yellow' gene).

In general with squash: the larger the fruit the fewer per plant. 1 or 2 is typical for some varieties. In contrast, mini-pumpkins might bear a dozen on one vine.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

thanks for the info.

Reply to