pumpkin question

We have a pumpkin that is painted and would like to preserve. What is the best way of doing this? ... if anyone has any experience in this, please also answer the following -

  1. should we gut the inside to prevent rotting? in which case would we have to clean it out and then fill it up to prevent collapsing?
  2. if it were painted and lacqured or sealed up, how long will this 'preserved pumpkin' last?
  3. any other tidbits, advice, ...
  4. will the same ideas work with squash?

You can post a reply or email me at kkoh@hotmail. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Reply to
cochise