Radish seed pods

Since no one in the family likes radishes much, I let my small crop of them go. They sprouted way up and developed some small, very pretty white and purple flowers.
Now that the earliest of the flowers have been pollinated, the petals have fallen off and they are developing seed pods that look just like upright small green bean pods. The biggest pod I've seen so far is about 2" long and 1/4" in diameter.
I picked one of these and found that it is succulent and tastes only faintly of radish. I had the idea that they would taste great in stir-fry.
Has anyone ever heard of this? I didn't want to whip up a mess of these pods on the off chance that they might be unhealthy...
Mark
P.S. Nugget, our half-grown Rhode Island Red, is doing a great job keeping the garden cleaned up. She seems to nibble exclusively on the "weedlings" and leaves the proper growing veggies alone. Go figure. Plus, in contrast to last year at this time, I have yet to pick any ticks off myself after working in the garden.
Mark wrote:

Yes, they are good. I have eaten them fresh from the plant. I never actually used them in a stir fry, myself, but I know they are used that way. Try it and report back to us. :-)
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Mark) wrote:

They do indeed... there are actually varieties bred for the pods rather than the root.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
(Mark) wrote:

Yes, we grow those, variety rat's tail. long pods, not too pungent, excellent raw in salads (I also just eat them from the plant for a nibble when I'm down the allotment) We'll also be trying them in stir fries this year. Mind you the bush is about 4 foot diameter, and straggly if left to its own devices. Available in UK from Thomson&Morgan, do you get them in US?
Steve

Yes; I got Rat's Tail from a small U.S. company; have seen several other sources including the Seed Saver's Exchange (U.S., but international membership). T&M does business here out of Canada, but I haven't dealt with them lately, preferring exchanges and the numerous small outfits.
I have also eaten seed pods from regular radishes that got away from me in one of my *rare lapses of atten4tion in the garden. Quite tasty.
Peace,
*(Bold-faced lie)
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
(Mark) wrote:

Wow. The things you learn if you only ask... I'll get a mess of them together and try them in stir-fry. I'll report back.
Mark
They are pretty good aren't they? We grow podding radishes (purchased from Pinetree I believe). Easy to save seed from also. Try using a pickling recipe to save some for later. My favorite is dilly radishes with small okra pods.....
Good luck, Mutti
P.S. our guineas are like Nugget
Mark wrote:

IMO the fresh seeds are the best bit - but it's a pain to pick them out.
--