Maple tree seed pods

I am new to this group but I think this is the proper forum to ask this question. I live in northern RI and have a large Swamp Maple growing in my front yard. I have been in the house only two springs, and each spring my neighbor complains extensively about the "helicopters" that fall on both our yards. While they don't bother me a whole lot, they really aggravate him. I doubt it, but is there anything that can be done to minimize the amount of seed pods a maple produces?

Reply to
grodenhi

Certain varieties of maples have minimal production of helicopters. I recently planted 3 Autumn Blaze on my property. I chose this variety for fast growth, fall color,& and minimal if any seed pods. More about them here:

of cutting your tree down & replacing it, there is not anything you can do about the seed pods. Pray for winds from a favorable direction to blow them to the least noticeable area.

Reply to
newsreader

I didn't think there was anything to stop the growth of seed pods, just checking. I don't plan to take the tree down, it appears to have been there a VERY long time and provides shade over the driveway and looks nice in the yard. I was just checking for a happy medium (we get to keep the tree, he doesn't get helicopters each spring), but in the end, it's our land, and our decision. Thanks!!

Reply to
grodenhi

I'm in Silver Maple central and how they produce the whirlybirds :0) Once in a while they'll not be many of them but usually it is a full blown gutter clogging week from hell :0(

I have leaf blown them into piles and run them through a grinder for mulch. They heat up nicely, but if you don't gring them up, man do they produce a stench!

Around here (SW Chicago area) just learned to live with 'em.

Me, I had 4 cut down this year - but had 6 trees put up in their place. 2 being Maples, but Red Sunset, not Silver!

Reply to
ozzy.kopec

Not knowing much about trees, mine is a RI Swamp Maple (so I've been told).

Reply to
grodenhi

============== Red Maple - heck it looks like it is your official state tree :0) ===========

I was using the Silver Maple as a reference as we have them all over the place. Whirlybirds be whirlybirds I guess.

In fact I have to clear some of those gutter cloggers out one of these days ;0(

Reply to
ozzy.kopec

Oh boy!. . .I was seriously thinking of planting a Silver Maple, to replace a mistletoe infested Modesto Ash. I want something disease resistant, and not bothered too much by mistletoe or other pests.

I hadn't considered a problem with seed pod helicoptors. Let me ask a stupid "blonde" question. . .Do trees come in male and female, and if so, does one of them NOT have the seed pods??? And also, if they do come in male and female, how do you tell the difference;-)

I know it sounds crazy, but I'm serious, and just had to ask!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl, not a dumb question at all. Maples can be either monoecious, meaning having both male and female flowers on the same individual, or dioecious, meaning individuals are either male or female, depending on the species.

A. saccharinum (silver maple) usually but not always has both sexes present, but isolated individuals often produce parthenocarpic samaras (samaras are the helicopter like fruits). This means they contain no seed.

There is no way to know whether you would get a rare dioecious example of this tree. Fertile seed of the species germinates freely, so unless you have it in a place where you can mow seedlings that could be a problem.

None the less it is a very lovely tree, and well worth growing, and I'd recommend it in the right situation.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

I have both a Silver and Norway maple. The Norway generates maybe a third of the pods that the silver does.

-- If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

Reply to
John Hines

Well, I guess if they have both sexes present, that'd make them AC/DC. Perhaps I'll research John's Norway Maple suggestion, and take a look at that recommendation as well.

The tree is on a lawn area, and I'm not worried about the helicoptors there. . .But, the tree will also shade over an area with many Azaleas. And it could be an issue there.

Thanks!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

A. platanoides is a great tree too, with many lovely cultivars in different sizes. As well as the species I have 'Drumondii' in my garden. Here's a picture

species is dioecious, but can be very invasive in some areas, so be careful. Why not consider A. cappidocicum, the Caucasian maple? It's a lovely big tree with dark green foliage that pushes out red to start, and good fall color in most locations.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis