Purslane

Page 1 of 2
I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain -- following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.
Any ideas?
I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.
Thanks, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

recipes and explanations here:)
http://www.prairienet.org/pcsa/recipes/purslane.htm

It's good on salads. And, the stuff's really healthy to eat: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/11/4/374

Aiiiyee, the stuff is a weed here. Make sure you pull it from edible sort of ground, less insect sprays and so on. I think Logee's carries a foreign variety that has thicker stalks. The Joy of Pickling has a recipe for pickling it. Sounds interesting. Edrena

Let us know the results. I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or composted it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were) and was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.
Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)
It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's been in the freezer for a couple of years...
Bob
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

When I was experimenting with purslane a couple years ago, I found that it makes a good cream soup that can be eaten hot or cold. I also put it raw into a sandwich with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or into a BLT with honey mustard. If I was going to pair it with lamb, I'd consider making plain lamb-and-potato kabobs, then combine purslane, walnuts, and olive oil into a kind of pesto to accompany.
Now that I know what to do with it, naturally, I haven't seen it since.
Bob

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else. Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth. Edrena
The Joneses wrote:

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)
2 cups purslane 4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork 2 tbs chopped onion 1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred) 1 tsp ground coriander seed salt to taste
Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat. Season. Cover and cook until tender.

Serve wrapped in hot flour tortillas? :-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

You could do that. Or serve it on fresh fry bread or with rice.

Rice sounds good...
I was just thinking "Texas style". That recipe almost sounds like a taco meat recipe. Just needs more additions such as Garlic and Cumin.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Date: Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:09 AM

Thanks so much Arri, I had forgotten the Spanish word for it. My mostly pale neighbors thought I was crazy for suggesting they could eat the weeds... There is so much good food for the adventurous. Edrena
The Joneses wrote:

You most welcome! Usually I make a salad of the purslane but that recipe is tasty too.

You realize, I trust, that you just killed 2 cups of purslane and their health benefits. The omega-3 fatty acids are meant to protect against heart disease not facilitate it.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Billy wrote:

ROTFL! So don't cook it that way. The fatty acids are probably heat-proof anyway otherwise not much point in eating cooked fish.

ROTFL! Do you understand anything about saturated fats?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

Do you?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Billy wrote:

Yes indeed. That's why I eat them in moderation. The dish can be cooked in veg oil as is commonly done around here.

I think he was critical of the addition of Lard and Salt Pork. ;-) For those that still believe that eating animal fat is unhealthy, it would sound like Heart attack on a plate.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.