Planting shallots

When should I plant shallots? I live in Zone 5.
Jo
Jo M said:

From sets? Probably the middle of last month (October). About the time you would have planted bulbs like tulips or daffodils.
There are new varieties that are started from seed. Start those indoors, or in a greenhouse in January or February to set out in mid-April to early May.

have
I didn't get my tulips and hyacinth bulbs planted in October. I had to leave the state for a month and when I got back, October was history. Can I still plant them?
I'm also in Zone 5 (southeast Nebraska)
Thanks, Brigitte
Brigitte said:

Do it now! And if you can't do it now, pile some mulch really deep where you intend to plant them, and store them in the refrigerator crisper until you can plant them--but don't procrastinate.

Can I

Thanks Pat

snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

but they will still be fine if planted now. If in doubt, put some wood chips as mulch on top (but not leaves unless they are chopped up. matted leaves can prevent a shallot from coming up).
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

My shallots were from Holland and aren't winter hardy here in Zone 6. I plant them in the sping, at the end of May. It actually works out well. We usually harvest them at the end of July. Then we use as much as we need over the summer, fall and winter, and then plant out whatever is left in the spring.
I haven't been able to put my garlic in yet ... because I had to take the orphan tomatoes out and dig up the horseradish first! It never ends! As long as I get it in the ground before it freezes, the garlic does great ... Fish Lake Northern garlic.
EV

Thanks to all who responded to my posts on raspberries, shallots, and cayenne peppers. The posts (except one) I sent in reply were returned undeliverable. The info was very helpful in helping me to know what to do.
Thanks again, Jo
Jo M said:

Most of us these days post with altered, phony or throw-away addresses. Some of us gives hints on how to fix them (look at my sig). This particular group doesn't seem to be a major source of spamming (unlike some others I have posted in), but it's easiest and safest not to post your legitimate email address.
My ISP's newsserver doesn't allow me to email at all via Usenet, and hasn't since a huge Usenet spamming event a while back.