planting rasberries this late

I want to plant a couple varieties of rasberries for next year. I live in zone 5 near chicago. Would it be to late to plant them in the next week or so?
thanks in advance...
Steve
steve snipped-for-privacy@mverify.com (Steve Sagerian) wrote in message

you will be fine. They will spread, so make sure you plant them in the right place.
simy1 wrote:

I must be cracked. When I read this, I thought, "And the right place would be right next to the shortcake bush, so dessert will be easy to make next summer."
TGIF! Monique in College Station
You might try what I did with blackberries. I planted them in a row 4 or 5 feet apart, ran a piece of PVC along the row with holes drilled in the right spots to water each plant. Then I rode the mower up and down 10 feet along both sides of the row to keep the invasive roots from sending up plants where I didn't want them.
Planting now will give the roots all winter to get extablished before spring. Go for it.
Dwayne

right place.

Planting now is OK.
Incidentally the correct name is raspberry--named for the resemblence of the fruit to a rasp--a carpenters wood file.

Are you talking about digging up someone's actively growing raspberries to plant on your property? If so, I don't think it will work. I would wait until they go dormant in a few weeks, then do it, or wait til spring. Ken A.
    A couple of weeks ago at a yard sale, an old guy came out with a cup of raspberries. I asked about growing them so he took me out back and yanked a root out and gave it too me. It has a leaf now. I looked it up and figured it was probably "Heritage" , a fall bearing type. I found one left over sickly looking "Heritage" at a discount store and planted that too. I pick one berry off it yesterday,