late planting tricks?

Here (zone 5.x, central NY), I get really poor germination rates on seeds (radishes, kale, beets) that I start after early July. And, thos that do germinate just languish - they never get their 'growth spurt'.

This year, a woodchuck cleaned out our kale, and I thought that was that. But, at the market today, a guy who I know grows kale, said he still hasn't planted it yet. All he'd say is, "You just have to know what you're doing."

I'm going to give it another try; but, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

I stick to transplants for fall crops. Too many bugs (crickets, woodlice, earwigs et al.) that love those tender young sprouts, along with all the birds hopping around after the bugs and seed, pecking and trampling the little stuff.

(Yes, really, my garden often has several dozen birds of various species feeding and/or loafing in it. They seem to have glommed on to the fact that the fence keeps them safe, or something.)

Transplanting is easy with kohlrabi, kale and other crucifers, chard, and lettuce, not so much with radishes and beets.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Check with your county extension agent. Look on the back or your seed packet for planting times for your area.

Reply to
The Cook