organic pesticide?

Does anyone now if there is something like organic pesticide? This evening I've found a nasty caterpillar emerging from one of my tomatoes, and drilling into it again! how dreadful! And something looking like a false lady bug eating of the leaves, except the leaves it sat on were drying and almost dead. With tomatoes just beginning to ripen I really don't want to use chemicals. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Andr0 (a new gardener)

Reply to
andr0meda

Safer soap? (I myself use Ivory dish detergent).

Maren

Reply to
Maren Purves

Anything you could possibly use is a chemical. Water is a chemical. Organic just means it is derived from natural sources. There are many pesticides derived from plants. Pyrethrin which is made from a type of chrysanthemum is quite common and should work on your beetles but will kill beneficial insects too. BT which is a bacterial spore in a liquid carrier, is usually usually best for caterpillars and generally less likely to hurt beneficials. There are different varieties of BT for different bugs. See

for a list of organic pesticides. Remember that just because it's organic, it won't poison you if you misuse it. Follow directions and you will be fine.

Lorenzo L. Love

you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.? Cicero

Reply to
Lorenzo L. Love

That should be "just because it's organic, it won't NOT poison you if you misuse it" Anything can be misused.

Reply to
Lorenzo L. Love

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks! I have, last night. I also think this might be best, but I work all waking hours (almost) but, Hey! Tonight I ate my very first own tomato!!!!!!! split and spotty, but nothing wrong with it. Yuppee!!!!!! Andr0

Reply to
andr0meda

Thank you all for your sound advice! It starts making sense to me after reading it all, and a few websites that I found as well. Like this one:

will keep an eye on those dreadful bugs, Regards, Andr0

Reply to
andr0meda