Organic Gardening in a Hotter, Drier World

Page 2 of 2

OK, kid, you're right again. In any event, this, gardens.edible, isn't the place for it.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Yes billy's tall tales BS does seem to be on a lot of NGs. He seems to continuously keeps putting up this kind of crap along with his infamous 12 line of political BS. Funny he was the one
So you giving up on sucker punching Americans, farmanal? I think billy is enough of an apologist for us all, he really sucks up well, doesn't he?
BTW, have you tried Hormone Replacement therapy yet? you and billy both seem to be a good candidates. I'm sure his gynecologist could help him.
Hi All,
I recomend a brain transplant for Gunner a-s-a-p.
Richard M. Watkin.
wrote in message

Yes billy's tall tales BS does seem to be on a lot of NGs. He seems to continuously keeps putting up this kind of crap along with his infamous 12 line of political BS. Funny he was the one
So you giving up on sucker punching Americans, farmanal? I think billy is enough of an apologist for us all, he really sucks up well, doesn't he?
BTW, have you tried Hormone Replacement therapy yet? you and billy both seem to be a good candidates. I'm sure his gynecologist could help him.

I really do not have the time today to wrestle the pig, but I promise I will address your points if there really are any bird. The first time I read I did not see any but still. Meantime go read some of the references I gave billy below as well as Milpa & swidden Understand you are talking about monoculture. Don't know where native plants came in.
Still subsidies are subsidies regardless of who they go to. Get the people a real job instead of giving them water, seed and money to continue to screwing up the fragile eco system of this arid regions.
Gunner wrote:

Milpa and Swidden what?

specifically we were talking about how to deal with arid land that is barren and lacking much cover at all. that is land that is on the verge of desertification. i mentioned setting up rocks to start a reforestation effort and then you said something about the three sisters which are not involved in reforestation (they can play a later role in a more sustainable agricultural setup, but initially the idea is to get some shade and trees to support wild life). the rock line captures water even for a moment and allows more of it to soak in and it also captures seeds that blow on the wind. native seeds. so there is no overt agriculture going on to start with, just getting some shade and trees that produce food/fruit and wood for people to use (eventually).
notice that this natural and native setup does not need any additional irrigation because it is using native seeds and it needs no subsidies because the seeds are there already. the only thing it needs is people to line up the rocks and then for them to keep the animals from eating the new growth and for them to not over harvest wood or burn the hedge/trees. once you get one line going the shade and treeline will act as a continual source of other seeds for the surrounding area and it will harbor plants and animals.
i'm not talking theory here, i'm talking what has been tried and found to work for low cost reforestation in arid regions.

i don't see how sustainable methods using native plants is screwing up a fragile ecosystem. it's restoring an ecosystem likely damaged by war, fire, over grazing, monoculture farms, irrigation, etc. and really, i'm not talking about jobs here, i'm talking about growing food to live as simply as possible. jobs are things that people have who are not on the brink of starvation because their land is destroyed.
songbird

Dude, go back and read the article, specifically the part :
"The agroforestry crops are a mix of fruit trees, corn, cover crops, and climbing-vine crops"
not native crops!!!!!
That's twice you meandered around the topic so its either a ploy or you're not following.
Either case, the land has too many people to support it, period. Time for man to help man find new employment.
Gunner wrote:

i have no idea what they are using and if any of them are native or not (corn, etc. could all be suitable native strains).

i'm not following, your critique of the article implied you didn't want any subsidies so i said there is another way of doing reforestation and agriculture that does not use subsidies and then i described what it was. consider it a tangent or additional comment to the article.

that is true globally, where will they go?
songbird

Out of a desert that cannot support them!

Tribal Aboriginals did a similar form of water storing in arid zones of Australia before the white man arrived here. IIRC, there are photos of such stores at the base of huge rock formation in the big Permaculture 'bible'.