Oh really?

Page 2 of 2

I'm quite curious as to how you know this for certain. Were you around when rec.gardens.edible was created?
I ask because I know that there are some gatewayed ngs (the same posts appear in differing internet guises) and I just wonder if there is such a set up here that was created at some time in the past.
It is also unethical,

?????? that doesn't make sense. Bry is a poster whose posts come to this forum through an alternate means. Bry is no more stealing your posts than you are stealing his/hers.

I think more information is needed before I'd climb on my high horse over this.
The only FAQ I can find for this ng relates to herbs so no help there.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:20:22 +1100, "Fran"

Yes.
It may have been, but not to gardenbanter.co.uk and - even if it had been - NO ONE has authority to do this. That is *not* how unmoderated Usenet newsgroups operate.
In other words, I could create such a 'gateway' and take all the posts from this newsgroup and publish them on my website (for commercial purposes): but it would be unethical and a violation of copyright. Or you could. Or anyone could.
There's nothing to prevent this from being done. It would still be unethical and a violation of copyright.
If you are in a friend's house, perhaps minding the goldfish while your friend is away on vacation, and see lots of money lying about, there's nothing to prevent you from taking it. The fact that there's nothing to prevent you from taking it does not make it right.

I was under the impression that Bry was the domain owner of gardenbanter.co.uk -- his own posts gave me that impression. He now says that he is not. If this is true, I was mistaken. And I hereby apologize to Bry.
Anyway: I'm gone, unsubbing.
Pat -- To email me, remove the trap and type my first name in its place. "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry
spamtra wrote:

I was here, too, when rec.gardens.edible was split off from rec.gardens. Being around when a newsgroup is created is not really a sign of any authority at all - even if you voted for said newsgroup, which I did.

Ah. So, Pat, what are you going to do about groups.google.com? Because usenet-to-email, usenet-to-html, usenet-to-whatever gateways been around in one form or another for ages (probably since usenet began), and will stay around as long as usenet continues to functions.
I see gardenbanter as just yet another take on that gateway, for those who don't have usenet access; this one is set up in the spirit of the times, like most any php-mysql forum (bb? bb2? they all look the same to me.).
Is this better than googlegroups? Dunno. Is it better than a proper usenet program? Certainly not.
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:55:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com wrote:

If you really decided to unsubscribe you won't see this I suppose. Anyone can archive posts to usenet and make those archives available to the public. They can even charge people for access. This breaks no US copyright rules. Simply ticking off the yes no archive button does not offer any legal protection. You certainly do own the copyright of any material you write and claim. That offers you protection against infringements, but an archive of public posts is not an infringement.
I'm still picking tomatos in zone 6 - Now that's worth discussing!
-Rick
When last we left our heros, on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:55:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com scribbled:

I wish you wouldn't. You're a very calm, sane voice that skews the noise/signal ratio to the good side. I don't get to post as much as I would like, but I always enjoy your posts.
And I liked your passionate defense. I've had entire posts of mine from another froup lifted and presented as someone else's. That's just so tacky!
Pam