Not SPINACH!?!?

Well, somebody's foolish procedures somewhere in the food distribution network has screwed-up our spinach supply. Guess what I'll be adding to my garden...
Sy

Buy it at your local farmer's market until you can get a crop going.
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Yabut, it's been too hot to grow spinach around here until lately. There's no way to get it except at the grocery store.
And, no malabar isn't a suitable substitute.
Penelope
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:34:53 GMT, Penelope Periwinkle

I just planted some today. I'm in zone 7a in North Carolina. My beans are still producing well. We plowed under some beans because the bugs were eating them. Now I have some 3 to 4" plants coming along. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a late frost.
--
Susan N.

Bugs have been bad on my beans this year too. They got to the first planting (we got about a bowl's worth from that) and the seven dust got to the bugs for the second planting (much more. :-))
Puckdropper

Don't think it had anything to do with the distribution network. Had everything to do with contamination of the irrigation water with waste run off from cattle operations nearby. The bacteria is taken up into the plant and can't be washed off. Symptoms don't show up in people for a few days. Nasty.

I consider that to be a part of the distribution network. From source to destination, we are encountering more problems with the way we get our food. Home gardening is looking more attractive every day.
Sy

That explains why a plant would get such a bacteria. I was wondering about that, with most the concern being over E.Coli in animals.
Puckdropper -- Who eats his spinach from a can like Popeye, but drains and heats it first!

It's only the packaged spinach that's a problem. The fresh bunches are ok. Nicole in CA

What about frozen spinach in packages (Green Giant) ?
Sherwin D.
Nicole wrote:

Frozen, canned and fresh bunches are all ok.
Nicole
--
3 of every 10 Americans Know Someone With Lupus
Help find the cure. lupus.org

Deep freezing is probably as effective as heating in killing the bacteria. However, you do display the proper "we're all gonna DIE" attitude. :-)