Need help growing Concord grapes

I can't seem to find a good online source about growing concord grapes.

I live in southern NH near the coast.

What I'd like to know is:

1) How much do I prune and when? 2) How should I amend the soil to maximize fruit production? (In my second year, I only got two small bunches of grapes) 3) How big of a trellis should I build? (right now I have it growing on two 6 ft fence posts with wire fence between them)

Any help here or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

Reply to
Toonartist

Here is a link I found at google.com on growing concord grapes. Do a search at google.com and you will find tons of info... http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:E71oY2Kj1YYJ:info.ag.uidaho.edu/Resources/PDFs/CIS0790.pdf+grow+prune+concord+grapes&hl=en&ie=UTF-8There is a good book on growing grapes and making wine by Jeff Cox called From Vines to Wines. I found our library has an online ebook version which is really helpful. It should be in the permanent collection too. Also check with your County Extension office they ought to have a booklet on grape growing.

Reply to
Milt

Grape vines can take several years to get established. You shouldn't expect good crops until they are 3-5 years old; really prime production will occur when they are ~10 years old. Concord vines will reach 30' if you let them; so pick a trellis height that's convenient for you. I prune each of my vines back to two main leaders every year. This yields about 12 bunches of grapes per vine. Pruning is done in the fall after the vines have lost their leaves. I side-dress with compost every year in early spring, midsummer, and in fall.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

I suspect grape pruning methods are more a religion than a science :-).

I prune mine using the 4-cane Kniffen system - two horizontal leaders (last years growth) from each side, one high and one low. I leave some short stubs of other branches to grow new leaders for next year.

And I prune in early spring to minimize winter damage. I've even procastinated to the point that sap dripped when I pruned, but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Also, most years I cover the vines with garden mesh when the grapes are large but still green. Otherwise the birds, raccoons, skunks, etc. get all the grapes :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard