My addiction

I have decided that I am addicted to purchasing seeds, mostly vegetable. I just got my order from Pinetree Seeds, none of which I "really needed." Most of them just looked very interesting. And their prices are reasonable. 21 packages for $26 plus $7 shipping.
If anyone is interested www.superseeds.com
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Well you could be punished but then there is always more.
http://www.fairweathergardens.com /
http://www.scnps.org/links.html
This while
Tetrishead 7:40 Zoe Keating One Cello x 16: Natoma Dance & DJ MPEG audio file 2005
Cranking but not to worry just inside.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Thats not an addiction! $33/year for seeds. Fresh grocery money!
Try mine. 75 packages for $175. SEEEEEEDSSSSS YESSSSS!
I will have: 120 tomato plants, 2000 stalks of sweet corn, 4000 stalks of dent corn (500 ft away from the sweet). 25 celery, 25 broccoli, 50 pickling cucumbers, 25 pepper plants, 200 green been plants, 25 cooking pumpkins, 200 garden peas, dozen varieties of leaf lettuces... and one squash plant! Lots of good COOKING and canning this fall. None for sale, all just for me, the dog, chickens and a cow :)
Also, 25 zinnias, 50 salvias, 200 marigolds, 50 wave petunias, 50 petunias, 50 coleuses, 200 Impatiens... All for my yard.
Not Bad for just $175 for seeds. Many people will pay more than that for just a few plants at the nursery. Well I did give my Mom 3 hanging baskets of wave petunias for Mothers Day. If you had to buy them, $45 just for the 3 baskets. I will take the time and grow my own plants.
Once I learn to seed save I will reduce my seed spending addiction.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Your reply suggests singular. Families can be divided head count. Why bother if it only you ?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Dan, you're treading close to ostentation and hubris;O)
--
- Billy
In article

GUILTY! of being close - but not yet there.
ostentation - pretentious and vulgar display, esp. of wealth and luxury, intended to impress or attract notice.
To a starving unemployed person on the street - Guilty :( To the average person who can access this NewsGroup - Not Guilty!
I am not rich by any means. One can own a home in the country with acreage for the same cost as a home in the city. This is a personal choice. Many prefer the city, 20 minutes to mow the lawn in the city. Two hours to mow the lawn in the country. City taxes are higher in the city and tend to uses less gasoline. Country taxes are lower but tend to uses more gasoline. Those that choose life in the city have tiny gardens. Those that live in country can have huge gardens. A choice in life. I hate the city life. I hate having neighbors. Many people love the city life. I live the life of a hermit!
hubris - excessive pride or self-confidence.
Self-confidence - Guilty in some areas of life. Other areas not so self-confident. Self-confidence comes with time and expertise. Pride - Not Me I do not feel that I am any better that any other person.
I live the life of a hermit! I like it that way! How many hermits display a life of great wealth?
However, I am lottery ticket addict. I spend one dollar each week on the powerball. I have a gambling addiction! What to do :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:51:48 -0400, "Dan L."

We live in the country too. The town we live outside of has a population of about 4-5000 people. When we moved here 6 years ago we bought a house on 1+ acre of land. The two acres behind us became available and we bought them. Now the DH says if we need more room for planting he will hitch the tiller to the tractor and make more space.
This spring I have set out 55 tomato plants, 21 varieties. I also have 6 more to set out. I bought those seeds late. I like to try new ones and see if we like any of them better than the usual ones we eat. I will set out about 25 peppers soon. I also have some cucumbers, acorn, butternut, green and yellow    squashes and watermelon starting to sprout in a tray. The cabbage and broccoli are getting close to ready and I am already pulling beets. The lettuces will soon be going to seed if I don't eat them soon. The Pak choi Choi is about gone and the kohlrabi & cabbage that DH bought from Lowe's are ready. The permanent plantings include strawberries, rhubarb (which I started from seed last year) and asparagus. We also have 25 fruit trees, muscadine grapes, blueberries and wild blackberries. That is enough to keep me busy during the summer.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

A kindred spirit indeed!
I have 3 apple trees, 3 blueberries and 20 strawberry plants. It is more than enough for me. Grapes, raspberries are in the future.
As for the lettuces: first comes the leaf lettuces, then the head lettuces. When the leaf lettuces expire I usually plant pumpkins in their place. I do replace the spinach plants though.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Pictures

So... Does this qualify you for being an official hoarder? I mean seriously... Do you have that much land or time? Seems stupid to me. But that's just me.
Knock yourself out...

I am into canning and food preserving. It takes 56 pounds (one bushel) of tomatoes to make 7 quarts of tomato juice. Then theirs the salsa, whole tomatoes, ketchup, tomato sauces for a variety of basic meals. I do plant more than I need and in different spots to guard against bugs, diseases and so on. I plant a wide variety of vegetables for many different foods. My own homemade canned tomato drinks are far superior than what you buy in the stores. All without any artificial chemicals or preservatives. Nothing goes to waste!
The main reason for my large garden is I cannot eat anything with gluten including wheat, rye and barley. I have been tested negative for celiac, however every time I eat those foods, I get ripped up. I find no problems with my own processed foods because I can control what goes in them. Artificial flavorings, vitamins, preservatives has gluten in them. Gluten is in everything! Almost all Restaurants, processed foods has gluten in it, including most alcoholic beverages.
The reason for lots of dent corn is that my basic staple is the corn tortilla! I lean towards Mexican and Asian cuisines. My homemade foods taste a whole lot better that what you can get from a restaurant. I feel so much better since I moved out of the city. I can breath better also! When I visit the cities the oder of car fumes are strong. You may not smell it because you get use to it!
I have my own chickens, bees and soon a jersey cow. You can have your store bought foods. I will make my own. I trust no one but my self.
First printing was 1935. A very good book. Even though a bit outdated. =================================================================="Five Acres and Independence: A Handbook for Small Farm Management" Paperback: 397 pages Publisher: Dover Publications; Revised (January 1, 1973) Language: English ISBN-10: 0486209741 ISBN-13: 978-0486209746 ===================================================================The spirt is there for me.