most nutritious cultivar of broccoli/cauliflower?

i like these two species because conventional wisom has it that they produce the most nutrients per square foot of garden space.

Which cultivars are the champs at nutrient contents?

The other day, I ate at a "Ruth's Chris" steakhouse. The broccoli sidedish, which by the way wasn't included with the steak, cost $8. BUT, it was the sweetest broccoli I have ever tasted.

Is it possible that they _cheated_ somehow in preparing (it was steamed) it, and artificially sweetened it?

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

How much butter was on it? Ruth's Chris soak their steaks with melted butter, so it's not unlikely that their broccoli is covered with butter also.

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

Adding a "pinch" of sugar to vegetables while they cook (and to many fruits) is a standard commercial chef's trick.

Too much sugar and too much salt and too much butter/fat seem to be the rule in many restaurant kitchens.

As far as varieties of broccoli, I tend to favor Early Dividend and Premium Crop. I've also had good results with Packman. I have no idea about the relative nutritional contents of each, but they taste good and give me reliable crops which is what I'm after in my small area of garden space. YMMV.

I haven't grown cauliflower in years. It takes up too much space for the payoff compared to other things I could be growing. And it's fussy about being blanched and such too. Sorry I can't help with that one.

Nyssa, who only eats restaurant food once a month

Reply to
Nyssa

Check this out

mention that there seem to be trade-offs between productivity and other qualities of commercial cultivars of vegetables including broccoli but don't list the cultivars. It is handy however as it suggests that studies of such do exist. If you want to follow it up I would search the USDA or the Journal of American College of Nutrition who published the paper.

Yes, quite possible.

David

Reply to
hairyarms