Mangel? or mammoth long red

Has anyone every heard of this? it suppose to be a giant beet, up to 30 lbs, and used mostly for cattle feed. I was trying to find a decent picture of them but the only pics I found (3 on google) were out of focus. I was planning of planting a couple of them mostly for a joke on my dad. Are the edible? would you even want to try?
--
:) Lynn

Lynn wrote:

Mangels are delicious, and produce wonderful, abundant greens. I have much better luck with them than the red ball type.
I get mine here:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS10620
Excellent thank you! We were just planning on growing them as a joke but hey if they are good so much the better!
--
:) Lynn

"Nightingale" < snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net> wrote in message
I wasn't aware of this kind of beet. I did a search under 'images' to find some pictures, which don't do it justice I guess since there's nothing in the images to give an impression of scale.
I was thinking about playing a trick on my father too--substituting sunzilla seeds for his regular sunflower seeds (sunzillas can be up to 27 feet tall).
My dad and I always compete esp about our gardens and since he will be away for a couple of weeks at planting time I offered to put his garden in Only if I don't "mess" his garden on him . LOL. I am putting in the purple carrots, the cheddar califlower, mangle beets, and whatever else I can find. he will get a kick out of it I did find a picture to show roughly the size of this beet. these guys are carrying it over their shoulder. Not a great picture.
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/CommunityMemories/ACEM/00aa/image/slide/ACEM00aa00bd.jpg

Lynn wrote:

You hope.......
;-)