mammoth

turned mammoth off cause i'm not fast enough to change belts while fan is running. when switch turned to on switch goes boom then rooftop very quiet. lugs torqued to manufacturer recomended newton-meters? this happen to anyone else?

Reply to
Paul C

I thought they were extinct. I worked on a couple in the 80's and they were old then! Could you be a little more infomative than? What volts, 600? Carbon is conductive at higher voltages.

Reply to
kool
460 volts units are from this century something in 250 amp switch L3 suddenly gets real hot. checked unit weeks ago ok temp. now temp is over 250 degrees on L3. shut down unit from breakers.
Reply to
Paul C

You've GOTTA be s*****ng me....

You're working a 250 Amp 480 Volt circuit and you're NOT an electrician.

... and if YOU ARE.... how about some more info:

Is the circuit loaded with a VFD or soft-start? Did you isolate those devices and megger everything for ground fault on L3?

A 250A circuit should be at least 4/0 THHN rated for 90 (c). 90 (c) is

194 (f). If you or the circuit protection allowed the wiring to get to 250 (f).. it's toast. Replace it FIRST.

After you've checked for ground faults, make certain all components have equal resistance across the phases. Also make sure ALL fusing or other circuit protection is adequately rated... and NOT over. People love to over-fuse stuff and then make themselves bigger problems later.

I've worked on some Mammoth units (electrical-wise). They are still around and make pretty decent custom one-offs for big buildings, stadiums and the like. They're a part of another outfit that makes a whole range of custom equipment.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

English Jake.......English! hehehe No, actually i understood everything and THAT is what really scares the hell outta me! :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

4/0=155 amp. @ 60c 440/3/60 (RH-RW wet location) / 100 feet for motors start up use.
Reply to
Tony

Tony, That's correct but I would never use TW or UF cable for a RT install... why would you?

Personally, I would use THHN anytime. If it's a 100 foot run, I'd probably de-rate it and use 250 instead.

THHN has a much higher temp rating more suitable for RT environments, IMO.

Just to let others know... I did get a reply back from Mike Holt re: the issue of the definition of "Environmental Air".

"The environmental air reference in this case means ANY actual ductwork used for supply or return air. My rule of thumb has always been, commercial or residential, that the only time you allow ANY conductor into an actual duct is to connect to a device (smoke sensors, fire dampers, etc.).

On new construction there is almost never an occasion that you need to route through a duct.

If you look at the FPN in (c) it refers to the area above a drop ceiling. Lots of commercial installations of air handlers use this space for return and make up air. In many of these cases states will rate the occupancy V-N (one hour) construction which allows NM-B and non plenum rated cable for the low voltage. In that case I have required that the drop ceiling assembly, grid and tile, be one hour rated and require firestopping when penetrating a one hour wall."

Mike went on to say that... in most instances... it's best run the scenario by the local jurisdiction FIRST.

Hope that helps...

Jake

Reply to
Jake

little softer easier to handle ?

Reply to
Tony

Just because she said that, doesn't make it a preferred choice.

Reply to
<kjpro