Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

I tried it with and without the wine with stock and water as subs. Without it, the soup is good but just seems to be "lacking". I think it needs a little acidity to perk it up a bit and put it over the top into the luscious category.
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

Hm.
I've been experimenting a lot with red wine vinegar lately (home made using some kombucha culture) and it really does "brighten" the flavor of a lot of stuff.
--
Peace! Om

Fatuous fowl feet for fancy foods finds few fervent followers ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

The more for me... <g> I'm just glad my local wal-mart sells them.
The advantage of living in an area with a high hispanic population!
--
Peace! Om

It isn't the poor animals fault that it's meat isn't as nutritious as it should be. For that you can blame the people that control its' environment. The chronic stress (which physically changes the quality or the meat and charges the meat with endocrine hormones), the filth, the antibiotics, the tranks, the low price feed, which may make the animal sick (like beef). If the food is stressed what happens to the consumer? Does anybody know, or is this just another dark corner that the FDA doesn't want to look into?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Just a guess but farmed raised VS. wild might be the main issue. Give em chicken waste and we end up with shit out. Who would have thought? Never mind it is cheap.
Bill who wonders what or how the idea of real food is changing. All I hope is protein is some how ennobled or I might end up with Charlie on the table in a round about way.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

Maybe if hogs (and other meat animals) ate a natural diet, we could eat a healthy diet. What price health? I see all the same gray heads nodding in agreement ;O)

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I've visited commercial pig farms. The pigs don't look stressed to me...
They, unlike cattle, are kept clean and dry. The farms stink due to the cesspits under the grating they are kept on.
They are not wallowing in their own feces like in cattle feed lots.
The most stressful part of pork production is shipping. THAT needs to be improved!
--
Peace! Om

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
In article

I meant shipping of the live pigs to the Abattoir.
I'm sure you can fine some ugly stuff on Youtube.
--
Peace! Om

Surely that wasn't supposed to be a meal?
In article

It was enough for me... I only eat two meals per day. All I have time and stomach room for.
That was dinner. I had lunch at work around 2 am. That was a hard boiled egg and a nice tossed salad. ;-d
An alternative would have been a mess of steamed spinach leaves with the egg, or leftover chuck roast shredded into the salad.
Sausage and kraut would have done too.
Most of my carbs right now are coming strictly from leafy greens. I'm trying to lose weight. That half-ear of cotc was a compromise (I really wanted it), hence the portion control of 1/2 of an ear. <g>
That is plenty of food for one meal... at least for me!
I also happen to LOVE greens! I need to plant more Chard this winter (back on topic), and maybe try my hand at some bok choy. Winter greens do well here. I just watch for freeze warnings and toss a sheet over them. It rarely gets below 20 degrees F here. I've also had good success with broccoli and kale, altho' I have found kale to be inedible and won't try it again.
I have yet to try growing cauliflower. I DO eat the cauliflower leaves tho' when I buy it from the store. Similar flavor and texture to cabbage, but milder.
--
Peace! Om

In article

I admit, I am getting bored of it my self. It takes time to defend ones views. Everyone has their views and I respect that. Everyone has the right to share them. After a while it is time to move on.
As I get older, my teeth and gut are also telling me also what I can eat and cannot. Spicy foods no more, Nexium - Mans best friend!
Sometimes it is best to fight than get rolled over all the time :)
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

And your teeth are telling you the same things as the food pyramid (but not the FDA's new stupid food pyramid).
In article

Okay, here is an example of correlation:
Rich people drive fancy cars, therefore owning a fancy car makes you rich. So if I go buy a BMW, I'll automatically become wealthy.
Right?
Not a very good example, (I'm sure Billy could come up with something better) as I'm _really_ beat right now. I work nights and I've had a busy morning, but I hope that that gives you an idea.
Fancy cars may correlate with being wealthy, but they don't cause wealth.
Correlation does not equal causation.... but it's a great way to skew statistics to prove nonsense. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

i was vegetarian for 20-someodd years, not because i think eating animals is wrong, but because eating meat made me sick. i managed to get through a meat cutting class in college while vegetarian with no problems. i now eat limited quantities of meats, but only grass-fed or "organically" raised types. commercial meat, like from the grocery store, still makes me sick. my guess is it's something in the feed.

horse is good. kinda sweetish. llamas are pretty smart as well & when i suggested i was going to cull one of mine & eat it, i thought i was going to be hunted down & lynched by the 'llamas are cute pasture pets' people! what an uproar over an animal.

especially because he wasn't being very observant. cattle & chickens, when free ranging, are both omnivores. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Understandable. And respectable :)

I would think horse would be a bit tough, but maybe it depends on how much exercise they get. Hmm, never tried llama, never even though of eating one. I've met a few, and thought they were rather pissy, kinda like camels. I would not turn up my nose at a llama steak. I do, however, draw the line at insects. For some reason, the thought of eating bugs is very unappetizing, though I'm not sure why.

I hear ya there! <lol> In my past, I've eaten turtle, rattlesnake, porcupine, bear and squirrel. I will turn my nose up at Possum simply because I've rehabbed them and know how full of parasites they are. <shudder>
Someone would have to pay me a LOT of money to choke down an insect. :-P
--
Peace! Om

My favorite omnivore is the common Rat. Challenging to shoot them.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article