I've got honey bees

Page 2 of 2

You volunteering?
Seems like birth control would be a better idea. Tax breaks (or cash) for the childless and draconian surcharges for the prolific. Of course that would probably lead to many more males being born, as in China, which may lead to wives with multiple husbands. Oops, I hope that wasn't too shocking of an idea for you ;O) Maybe we could encourage gay marriages ;O)
--
- Billy

Well I'm just taking my chances with cancer which keeps trying to get me but so far I've survived all four types. I'm fairly sanguine about crossing the bar.

It would indeed, but everyone thinks it should apply to someone else rather than themselves.
Tax breaks (or cash)

I don't find either of those things shocking.

year old chemical insult to the body, or just eating too many croissants (highly processed carbohydrates)? Neither of us is in great health, but what can you do? We just try to enjoy what each day brings (and eat as much as possible from our garden).

Neither do I, but I suspect those who want to feel free to have a half dozen kids would.
--
- Billy

I'm blaming my cancers on exposure to Agent Orange :-))
Years ago, when the Vietnam War was still going on (or the American War as the Vietnamese call it), I was watching the news with my father one day when there was some mention of Agent Orange. I asked Dad what it was and he said "Blackberry Spray".
I had instant recall of the smell and feel of it from my childhood.
Blackberries are a noxious weed in Oz and local authorities used to come around in big trucks with tankers of the trayback and spray the blackberries in mid summer. Being country kids with no swimming pool anywhere around us, a big pack of kids used to follow the truck as it spayed and we'd try to outcompete each other to stand in the spray drift. It was nice and cool on a hot summer's day.
Neither of us is in great health, but

Yep. It's a case of jt keep on keeping on and never give in.

Ah, yes, 2,4-D for civilians, but still contaminated with dioxin, one of the persistant organic pollutants (POP). Like radiation before, at first there was no appreciation for its consequences. Laughing children, dancing in a contaminated mist. A modern version of going into the gingerbread house. The thought gives me goose bumps. Excuse me while I step up on my soap box for a moment.
The World Without Us (Paperback) by Alan Weisman <(Amazon.com product link shortened) _1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid74206221&sr=1-1> At better libraries near you (and a real page turner).
POLYMERS ARE FOREVER / 151 Tokyo University geochemisr Hideshige Takada, who specialized in EDCsendocrine-disrupting chemicals, or "gender benders"had been on a gruesome mission to personally research exactly what evils were leaching from garbage dumps all around Southeast Asia. Now he was examining plastic pulled from the Sea of Japan and Tokyo Bay. He reported that in the sea, nurdles (precursors to molded plastics) and other plastic fragments acted both as magnets and as sponges for resilient poisons like DDT and PCBs (including dioxin).
The use of aggressively toxic polychlorinated biphenylsPCBsto make plastics more pliable had been banned since 1970; among other hazards, PCBs were known to promote hormonal havoc such as hermaphroditic fish and polar bears. Like time-release capsules, pre-1970 plastic flotsam will gradually leak PCBs into the ocean for centuries. But, as Takada also discovered, free-floating toxins from all kinds of sourcescopy paper, automobile grease, coolant fluids, old fluorescent tubes, and infamous discharges by General Electric and Monsanto plants directly into streams and riversreadily stick to the surfaces of free-floating plastic.
One study directly correlated ingested plastics with PCBs in the fat tissue of puffins. The astonishing part was the amount. Takada aad his colleagues found that plastic pellets that the birds ate concentrate poisons to levels as high as 1 million times their normal occurrence in seawater. -----
The plastic will slowly degrade to smaller and smaller pieces, which means that it will be ingested by smaller and smaller organism, who will be consumed by predators with the toxins being concentrated in their flesh. -----
We have black berries as well. My memories of them are as cobblers. They grow along the roadside, but I go into the forest to get mine, where they are cleaner and don't get sprayed with the "poison du jour". -----
"we'd try to outcompete each other to stand in the spray drift. It was nice and cool on a hot summer's day."
If I think about that too long, I may have to go and join Shelly in his bottle.
ta sant
--
- Billy

I had no idea Australians referred to your country as "Oz". Later, in the pre-"usenet" dark ages of Fidonet, private BBS services, etc. before there were such things as NNTP headers, I thought folks referring to living in "Oz" were flagging themselves as gay because that's what "living in 'Oz'" meant, over here, and gay folks were, "friends of Dorothy".

the local agency makes a show of "controlling" them with low volume aerosol sprays (tiny whips and chairs might be just as effective) but when I was a child, they used thermal fog. Most likely, the fog was pyrethroids. We kids used to follow the trucks closely on our bicycles not just becoming totally invisible to motor vehicle traffic but also inhaling enormous quantities of insecticidal fog.     In the late 1950's we had an infestation of "Mediterranean" fruit fly. Every morning, while walking to school, children (including myself) were exposed to high-volume sprays of malathion from low flying DC-3 aircraft.     We've pretty well established that, if those events did any dain bramage, no one here would notice ;-) But it might explain a lot about our politics and/or foreign policy, what there is of it....     Where I live now, many small farmers grow highbush blueberry hybrids that have been specially developed for the hot humid climate of the USA's Gulf (of Mexico) coast. Due to the warm winters, most of those varieties require chemical defoliation; at least, in Florida, they do and I expect the same applies to all of the Gulf states. Agent Orange remains alive and well. Hell, it might even be gummint surplus.
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.

large-scale monocropping agriculture as practiced in most of the so-called "developed" world and on which we now depend. However, the predictable behavior patterns that make them so valuable to agriculture also make them easy to control.
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.

You're right. I did miss that reference amonst all that verbage.

competent newsreader and ask a grownup to explain "killfile". I could give a shit. Sheesh!
--
HTH,
the Balvenieman

You are a shit.
--
- Billy

I do tend to read all posts in this and other gardening ngs. I only make such an exception wioth the gardening ngs because most gardeners are decent people.
Suggest you get yourself a

I do know how to do that and will oblige you.
I could

I know that English has become appallingly mangled in the US, but before I place you in the Bozo Bin, I will explain to you that when you say "I could give a shit" then you are saying that you DO give a shit. If you don't give a shit hen you need to say "I could NOT give a shit".