I ate a beet

Page 1 of 2
Just harvested half of my beet crop. Which amounts to two beets.
I ate one. With greens.
I'm amazed at how richly green and waxy looking the greens are on these plants. They were the most robust looking plants in the garden.
And it's not how well I cooked it, but that I had one to cook at all.

No jpeg? :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet wrote:

No, I"ll do it analog. Ok, it was THIS big. See my hands? And it was one of those golden ones, so the meat was about the color of my teeth.
And the greens were....green. And waxy. They were THIS waxy. See my ears?
What's a good recipe for beet(s) and greens. I just fried some onions, then sauted the greens for a little while, with some water, and nuked the beet sliced. Everything was just slightly bitter, but could have been from not cooking long enough.
Man, I can't wait until I get some land. Hard to change the world on my 10x12 concrete patio.

I just steam beet greens and serve them with lemon butter. The beet is cooked and served separately, pressure cooked, peeled, sliced and served as is with lemon pepper and salted to the individual taste. I don't generally cook with salt. The lemon pepper is the salt free variety.

Good job! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

Slacker! <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet wrote:

Ok, ok, give me another day, and I'll take a picture of what the beet has become.

How about just emailing it to her. Don't think too many others are interested. <g>
--
Susan N.

I'll "pass" thanks. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

<giggles>
Believe it or not, there is a website for that. ;-)
http://www.ratemypoo.com/top.html
Do NOT click that link unless you have a strong stomach!!!
Honestly some people are so gross, and have WAY too much time on their hands!
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet wrote:

I'm not going there.

Good move.
I only knew about the site because some disgusting troll posted it on one of the cooking lists...
But, you DID bring it up. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
doofy wrote:

Um...I went there. Wish I hadn't. But, when you gotta go....

<snicker> Well, it's not like I didn't warn you!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

Or have a poop fetish.

As unsanitary a subject as it is, what comes out of us can be instructive. If it is black, you may have internal bleeding or too much iron in your diet. If you haven't been eating beets and it comes out red, you have bleeding. If there are things moving on it, you have problems. If it comes out hard, you need more fiber. If it comes out loose, you should consider what you ate. If it comes out unexpectedly, you may need to see a doctor. You you don't poop, you can probably expect to explode before you turn fifty;-)

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

Sounds to me like you need to start thinking outside the box.. as in stacked containers? Secure well, the last thing you want is toppling over when you are a week from harvest!!
|_/ | |__/ | |___/ | |_____/

A little bit here and a little bit there and it all adds up.
Eat Here, by Brian Halweil, p.162.
"Households with a bit of land might be surprised at their capacity to satisfy some of their own food needs with a garden. In Cuba, the 104,087 small urban and suburban gardens in the form of patios, container plants, and "popular gardens" in tight locations between houses and streets actually yield more produce on just 3,595 hectares than all of the "organoponics" and inten- sive market gardens combined.15
15. Fernando Funes et al. (eds.) Sustainable Agriculture and Resistance; Transforming Food Production in Cuba(Oakland, California, Food First Books. 2002) p.227.
Gonzo, keep on, keepin' on.
--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
In article

Amusing. <g>
Last time dad bought some fresh beets and I cooked them for him, he'd forgotten about that "side effect". About a day and a half after I fixed them for him and he ate the entire bunch in one meal, (I'm not much of a beet root fan, I like the greens), he came into my room after going to the restroom and asked me if I could think of anything that would make it look like he had a rectal bleed.
I continued with my e-mails and just said one word. "Beets". <g>
He calmed down and finally recalled that factoid... He is 75.
We don't serve fresh ones very often. I buy the salt-free canned more and they don't do that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet wrote: