I ate a beet

Just harvested half of my beet crop. Which amounts to two beets.

I ate one. With greens.

I'm amazed at how richly green and waxy looking the greens are on these plants. They were the most robust looking plants in the garden.

And it's not how well I cooked it, but that I had one to cook at all.

Reply to
doofy

Omelet

No, I"ll do it analog. Ok, it was THIS big. See my hands? And it was one of those golden ones, so the meat was about the color of my teeth.

And the greens were....green. And waxy. They were THIS waxy. See my ears?

What's a good recipe for beet(s) and greens. I just fried some onions, then sauted the greens for a little while, with some water, and nuked the beet sliced. Everything was just slightly bitter, but could have been from not cooking long enough.

Man, I can't wait until I get some land. Hard to change the world on my

10x12 concrete patio.
Reply to
doofy

I just steam beet greens and serve them with lemon butter. The beet is cooked and served separately, pressure cooked, peeled, sliced and served as is with lemon pepper and salted to the individual taste. I don't generally cook with salt. The lemon pepper is the salt free variety.

Good job! :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Slacker!

Reply to
Omelet

doofy expounded:

I love beets just sliced and steamed, the greens can be the same. Just a little butter and they're delish! But you can roast beets, cut one in half (through the stem end) and put it face down on a slightly oiled sheet. Roast it until you can pierce with a fork. The peel will slip off. This really enhances the natural sweetness of the beet.

Reply to
Ann

Ok, ok, give me another day, and I'll take a picture of what the beet has become.

Reply to
doofy

How about just emailing it to her. Don't think too many others are interested.

Reply to
The Cook

Believe it or not, there is a website for that. ;-)

NOT click that link unless you have a strong stomach!!!

Honestly some people are so gross, and have WAY too much time on their hands!

Reply to
Omelet

I'll "pass" thanks. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

I'm not going there.

Reply to
doofy

Congratulations on your beet crop. There is no sarcasm there, none, just sympathy. I once decided to try growing wheat in my 4x16 vegetable bed. I used about half of the bed for the wheat, and my friend with the electric flour mill laughed and laughed when I showed up on his doorstep with my little pint jar of wheat berries. But hey, I had enough flour to make a *delicious* batch of whole wheat rolls for Thanksgiving, and gained a much better understanding of what goes on up there in North Dakota. :)

Reply to
tuckermor

Good move.

I only knew about the site because some disgusting troll posted it on one of the cooking lists...

But, you DID bring it up.

Reply to
Omelet

Um...I went there. Wish I hadn't. But, when you gotta go....

Reply to
doofy

Well, it's not like I didn't warn you!!!

Reply to
Omelet

I planted some buckwheat out there, to attract bees, build the soil, but I think it's in a spot that is too shady.

I also planted a container of snap beans. Got one plateful out of it. But, by golly, I grew them.

What's a good shade tolerant veggie?

Reply to
doofy

I'd like to know too. I'm not sure there are any?

Maybe broad leaf greens such as chard?

Reply to
Omelet

Or have a poop fetish.

Reply to
Manelli Family

As unsanitary a subject as it is, what comes out of us can be instructive. If it is black, you may have internal bleeding or too much iron in your diet. If you haven't been eating beets and it comes out red, you have bleeding. If there are things moving on it, you have problems. If it comes out hard, you need more fiber. If it comes out loose, you should consider what you ate. If it comes out unexpectedly, you may need to see a doctor. You you don't poop, you can probably expect to explode before you turn fifty;-)

Reply to
Billy

Sounds to me like you need to start thinking outside the box.. as in stacked containers? Secure well, the last thing you want is toppling over when you are a week from harvest!!

Reply to
gonzo