I ate another beet

Thanks...Omelet?...whoever gave me the cooking suggestion. Just steamed the other beet I pulled, with the greens, added some butter. Muy delicioso.

Reply to
doofy

I think there were two of us that made similar suggestions. :-)

Glad you liked it! I've found most often that with fresh produce, simple is best!

Broccoli and carrots, for instance, are most often steamed as is with no additions and served for one to simply salt lightly to taste.

Gingered carrots are good too, but I think I like them plain the best!

Reply to
Omelet

If you decide to get a little more complicated, Try braising the beet or wet roasting it in a pan, preferably glass (aluminum will react with the acids). With sliced onions, a couple of splashes of balsamic or sherry vinegar, depending on the amount of beets. Add some white or black peppercorns, a bay leaf, a coulple pinches of kosher salt, a splash of extra virgin olive oil and water to cover about half way up the beet. Cover with foil and roast at 350F until when a fork pierces the beet, slides right off. These are so good in salads with goat cheese and spinach or watercress.

You may be able to harvest more beets if you plan on only letting them go to a baby size or thinning them out and harvesting some as baby's and then letting the others go the full season to a larger size.

Let me know if you like it! Lee

Reply to
woody creature