Have I let my broccoli go to long

The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now even though it's only the size of a softball?
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

I've never grown broccoli but I remember reading that you have to keep a close eye on it because once it flowers it's no good. It's the reason I won't grow it.
..
--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

It's not all that picky, just eat it before the florets open. You're missing a really nice treat! Easy to grow and delicious!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

I get the odd one where the florets have open a little and it really is not noticable, especially if you have it mixed in a stir fry or the like. If totally gone to flower that may be a different story.
rob

Gee, you should try it. It's a fast, easy, cold tolerant crop. Anything that you don't eat fresh can go in the freezer -- it freezes beautifully without a loss of quality.
Jan USDA Zone 3

The leaves would still be edible and tasty. Cook them like collards.
On Jul 3, 6:20 pm, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

Harvest the broccoli when it starts to flower. It's still good to eat if there are a few open buds.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Yes. Cut the central head off now. If you wish, you can leave the rest of the plant growing, and there will be very small heads appearing at the joints between the main stem and the stems with leaves.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:48:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:

I ate one head tonight, the flowers are pretty tasty.
On 5 Jul 2007 00:59:02 GMT, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

When you buy it in the store, you get the large 'head'. When you grow it, you eat/harvest any size head that is about to flower.
Cut a head now if you feel like having it for dinner. After the head is cut, the plant will start producing secondary (my term) heads all over the plant. The crop I got from my secondary heads, on 1 plant, was more than 2 or 3 main, large heads. The secondary heads don't grow very big, but taste great. I keep cutting small heads off long into when the planty starts flowering. lots of the heads I cut are only 1" in dia. but wonderfull. The brocolli just kept comming and comming!