Half Ripened Tomatoes

I'm getting some tomatoes coming from the vine where one half is very red and the other half is very green. I picked those and put them in a paper bag but was wondering how to eat those. Should I cut it in half, eat the red part, and then wait for the green part to turn red?
BTW: Most of the tomatoes ripen evenly.
Wait till they are ripe all the way around.
Mark Anderson wrote:

Welcome aboard!
I've wondered about the Adirondacks and gardening: we're in the Appalachians in north central Pennsylvania and our last expected frost is around May 31 (hahahahaha - two of the three years we've lived here, we've had killing frosts in mid-June) and our first expected frost is around October 1.
Is your season similar to that, or even shorter?
Pat

Old-timers here tell me that there has been frost every single month of the year. I believe it, but haven't lived here that long. It often goes into the low 40s at night in summer, and occasionally high 30s, that's for sure. Not good for heat-loving plants.
Do you have a hoophouse?
We're planning on building one this fall (although we may be moving, which will set the hoophouse plans back, probably until next spring.)
Pat
When last we left our heros, on Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:22:37 -0400,
<it's cold up there>

Not good for heat-loving folks either! I've been up that way on vacation for the past two summers, and if it's that cold in the summer, I don't even wanna think about winter! I was in Upstate New York in April, and it *snowed*!
Do you know how dangerous it is for a Southerner to be out in a heavy snow storm? We're like that old urban legend (Hi Pan) about turkeys in a rainstorm. We stand in the falling snow, arms stretched out to catch the snow flakes, head back and mouth agape. And we'll stand there until they start to announce school closings or someone drags us back inside.
I don't know how people survive where it's that cold that long!
Pam, Fair Flower of Southern Femininity
In article snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

That is what's happening. My staking system was not up to par this year and the plants are falling all over the place. The half in the shade start to turn red.

I'm afraid the red side will get soft and rotten by the time the green side turns red.
Well, I guessed that one right. Eat the good half and throw the other part away. The ones with some shade cover should be all good.
Steve
Mark Anderson wrote:

Steve wrote:

eat the ripest half and make salsa with the rest.
--
Zone 8b (Detroit, MI)
Hey Mark, If you place them in a bowl with some apples they'll ripen quickly. Apples give off a gas that causes other fruits and veggies to ripen, or if your no a little careful, to rot.