greenhouse newbie

Hi,
ok... the greenhouse is up (12-24 quonset)... concrete floor.
have a hydropharm ebb-flow in it just 'cause I had one... have mixed lettuce in rockwool in it now.... seems to be doing ok but just getting the buggs out it... never grown lettuce before.
have a 200W aquarium heater in the tank set at it's lowest setting so the roots get some "warm" nutrient but no light at this point in time (there's a 400W HPS on a track ready to go)
and when I'm out there I crank up a little kerosean heater... heat and co2....
adding some Little Buddy homebuilt clones to fill my space (I've got 12*12 and swmbo has 12*12)
intending for the tube setups to house quicky tomatoes and peppers.... and they'll get the additional light.
any suggestions?
like right now I'm using "2 scoops" (3 T) of miracle grow general purupose to 20 gallons of nutrient... it's a stop gap to be sure... but anybody got suggestions?
any tips on greenhouse bluebonnets?
Anonymous wrote:

and if you've been put off by high greenhouse prices in the retail catalogs.... when manage to get onto one of the wholesale lists and buy one of the "point of sale" mini greenhouses... mine was the samllest the vendor sold at 12*24!
--

>Leinad/SWD/Cobray Derringer Side Plates<

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7132686744
What are the best maters to plant in a 5 gallon bucket? I think all the ones I have get too big- (Marglobe, Brandywine, Early Cascade, Black Krim, Giant Belgium) Can any go in a 10 gallon pot? What about cherry maters? Thanks
Barbara
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:22:53 GMT, "barbara beardsley"

even a bit smaller bucket. They do not need a huge root system in rich, well fertilized soil with the right moister content. I have grown heirloom and German giants in such containers, and the yields were fine.
In article

Yes, it seems to be a big issue of *consistency* with the watering/moisture. They seem to want just a certain amount every 1 or 2 days, and EVERY daily cycle for their whole life.
I found last season to watch for a bucket with drainage probs (perhaps position, or more likely my sloppiness with unfinished compost.) They don't like wet feet - seems to stunt their growth.
Right now, my schedule is one litre per plant, on one- day-on-one-day-off, then the off-days have a general hose-down for the whole garden.
My tomatoes are in 20-litre/5-gal buckets, and everything else is in 10-litre/2.5-gal buckets. They seem to be reasonably happy, as long as I keep disciplined with giving them attention.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

If I start cherry tomatoes in a 5Gal pot in the basement how do I light it ? I'd buy a 4 ft fluorescent grow lamp, put it vertical and rotate the plant every day. Do I need two lamps
--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

I may be a bit premature on this, but... I have four tomato plants in 20-litre/5-gal buckets right now. They are "Moneymaker" variety, and seem to be thriving in general. Summer here started on December 1st. And, despite the off-and-on weather, I have a nice amount of green fruits at this point.
Last season, I did "Beefsteak" variety, and the low yields could reasonably be put down to storms last Feb.
My general understanding is that 20-litre/5-gal will accommodate just about any variety. The real variables then are sunlight/heat and very diligent watering.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
What are the best maters to plant in a 5 gallon bucket? I think all the ones I have get too big- (Marglobe, Brandywine, Early Cascade, Black Krim, Giant Belgium) Can any go in a 10 gallon pot? What about cherry maters? Thanks
Barbara
says...

Two I've grown and liked are Patio tomatos and Red Robin.
See info at:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/nga-gardenshop/44-3811.html
http://www.reimerseeds.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=TM114-20
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg010129043875.html