Global warming and your garden

Page 5 of 6

pretty much...

hey now! don't go dissing the lemmings! that bad rap about jumping off cliffs was entirely generated by a bored Disney camera crew doing a "documentary". they *chased* those poor leemings over the cliff to their deaths. Disney has a lot to answer for... i find it sad, but amusing that over 75% of houses i am seeing for sale have such rediculous (for the northeast anyway) features as 'cathedral ceilings'. can you say 'heat sink'? i'm looking into a modular type house to put on that abutting lot (if i buy it. the present house is beyond fixer-upper, but the heirs think they can sell it as habitable. i'm going to offer them 40k. 50k if they do the demolition. no way is that place going to get a loan as is). it's near impossible to find a less than 1000 sq.ft. 2 bedroom, one bath plan... bigger is all over, with huge amounts of wasted space.

i was thinking more along the lines of self-sufficiency: gardening, mechanics, assorted handcraft arts (pottery, basketry, woodworking, sewing, plumbing), a solid, practical mathmatics base, critical thinking... stuff like that.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

I think I mentioned that 5 tromboncinis have come up, plus 4 bitter melons. The heat is back in the 70's today and the peanuts seem stuck in getting all the way up. The year is looking good, just getting impatient with some of my tomatoes, seems like they are taking forever. The ones in the ground are growing quickly though. Everything that had a brush with the damping off seems to being having difficulties. Think I need to repot again.

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

People are only whining about it because President Monkey Smirk hasn't taken the initiative. Part of preparing for it, is remediating the problem, not exacerbating the problem. If it really is a problem of "Titanic" proportions, then we're screwed because there is no place to run. We may even set a record for mass extinctions, and take everything with us. The idea is so over the top, we can't deal with it, and just keep pulling our weeds and stomping our snails, trying to put it out of our minds. We will all be long gone before the caca hits the fan, but what preparations can you make for 250C temps and sulfuric acid rain? It all boils down to the maximizing profits for the next quarter and thirty years from now, will sort itself out on its' own, i.e. bad management.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

The planet will survive...
one way or another. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Priceless!!!
The smirk comes up early in new book about our newest "dynasty".
Jacob Weisberg, editor of Slate on-line mag, has written
"The Bush Tragedy", which traces the Prescott, Bush and Walker families several generations back. VERY interesting analysis which goes deep into the Oedipal factor, and shows that W. is a throwback to the Walker side, rather than the Bush side.
Highly recommended for those interested not only in how America has been brought low, but also in our current topic, climate change: How leadership can either ameliorate or exacerbate the phenomenon.
Persephone

Some reviews of the book here.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
One Way or Another 3:36 Blondie
Bill :))
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

A good book for historians in a few years?
<g>
--
Peace! Om

Sure to make the beers go down quicker;-(
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Always one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I only have it on vinyl.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Even the knuckle draggers start walking away when the provenance of President Monkey Smirk is about to be alloted.

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Did you see the new Dish Network commercial where the actor portrays shrub and he is showing a remote control for the dish and he says, (paraphrase) "There's this button pawzay; that's French for stop!" The button was actually pause.
I laughed out loud at that one.
My grandmother was a VP at the notorious Walker family empire. She worked on Wall Street for fourty years at G.H. Walker (no longer exists). Hey, at least she got to use the lux box at Shea Stadium!
She's long gone after 96 years of life. They still send a Christmas card.

It's that other way that has me nervous. Hey ya know, how it goes, you never know what you got till it's gone, you take Paradise and put up a parking lot. Cool back to square one, except this time these is already a lot of hydrolyzed amino acids floating around. That should be helpful;o))
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Mother nature does not care about man...
She's a bitch that way.
--
Peace! Om

Who said anything about humanity? I'm thinking about life and the many paths that nature has taken to express it and assure its' survival. It took a billion years for the first nutrient sea to develop. Hopefully, next time recovery will start sooner.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Oh I doubt that ALL life will be wiped out?
At the very least, the cockroaches shall survive...
;-}
--
Peace! Om

250C and sulfuric acid rain? Maybe the cockroaches should check with Steven Hawking, so that they can line up their boats:o) http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-06-22-hawking-warming_x.htm
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Either way, the food supply is at risk... We live in a very precarious world for climate to support plants we live on.
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Soylent Green anyone?
<g>
--
Peace! Om

<Persephone> wrote in message >>> yep, coolest darkest wet spring. No global warming here this year, but

William Shatner pretty well summed it up on a CNN show. He said the vast majority of our problems are due to the planet's overpopulation, including global warming. He also commented on Congress demanding vehicles get 35 mpg or better by 2012. He said 55 mpg is more appropriate. I'm in agreement because economy vehicles made 20 years ago were getting around 35 mpg.
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Yeah. Why is mileage getting WORSE instead of better? I'm loath to buy into conspiracy theory, but this one has me following it.
--
Peace! Om