Freezing Green Peppers

I just got them for 84 cents a pound (cdn) and bought about ten pounds, they normally go for 1.99

Can I just dice them and put them in a ziploc bag?

Their primary use would be for spaghetti sauce and gumbos etc.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Brent

Brent:

That is what I do. I use the little snack bags and saw off what I need. Put the snack bags into freezer bags. I do the same with japalenos.

John!

Brent wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

OK, I have done something similiar to my habaneros, slicing a sliver or so off a frozen whole pod. They don't like the cool maritime canadian summers here, so when I manage to get a few pods , I *treasure* them

Thanks..

Reply to
Brent

Hi Brent

I have frozen peppers when they are cheap to use in casseroles, soups etc and find them excellent. I cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, free flow them for later use. However, when they defrost they are quite soggy and soft so not so good in anything when you want them raw.

Sue

Reply to
suebragg

Reply to
Brent

When I have extra bell peppers, or any pepper for that matter, I clean and dice them, and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. After they are properly frozen they can be put in small plastic freezer bags. Done in this way as little or as much pepper can be removed. Another benefit of freezing them outside of a bag is that slightly freez-dry, and are less soggy when thawed and used. Regards, Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Not in our freezers... Those cheap ginzu type knives DO work for sawing off the right amount, texture is not a consideration when I use them.

John!

Reply to
GA Pinhead