first time growing black beans

This is actually my first time growing beans that i intend to save/shell. i was wondering how i will know that they are 100% ready for such. My assumption is that i would treat them the same as if i was saving them; ie - leave them on the vine until the shell begins to dry out. but i may be very wrong. any help is very much appreciated.

Assuming you're wanting them as dry beans, you're exactly right. I wait until the pods are dry, then store in paper grocery bags and thresh in the winter by belaboring them stoutly with a hunk of 2X4 in a plastic pail, occasionally lifting the empty pods off the top and shaking so the beans to to the bottom.