Blackberry Winter - NE GA

The blackberries are blooming and we have a frost warning tonight.

Well, I put off planting the peppers and maters because I *knew* we would have one last blast of cold air. The earliest peppers are flowering and the maters are getting a little leggy but I battled my urges to plant.

I have my evenings planned later this week!

John!

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Sounds like western North Carolina, in the foothills. 32°F predicted for tonight. In the high 70's and low 80's last week. Think one group of tomatoes will go out tomorrow since the low is predicted for

47° and lows in the 50's the next 8 or 9 days.
Reply to
The Cook

Oh lovely... :-P Fortunately I decided to container grow my peppers this year so I'll just move them inside. Thanks for the warning!

I do, however, have tomatoes in the ground.

Anyone know what might have eaten all of my new brocolli and cauliflower? I've searched day and night (at night with a flashlight) and I can't find what is doing it, but they've eaten them to the ground! Guess I'll wait a month and try growing them again. It did not look like slug or snail damage.

Reply to
Katra

I was, for years, a plant em early as I can type of person. Countless years I had to cover at least once. Before I brewed my own beer, I would save the case boxes, cut them in half, and use them to cover. "beer garden" I need to find those pics...

Now I just wait. Except on corn, I will gamble with a couple of bucks worth of seed.

Herbivores? Any leftovers?

John!

Reply to
GA Pinhead

I didn't put things out in the garden, but all my plants are outside around the front porch, and I'm in Schenectady, New York. The forcast was for ten days of warm nights and hot days when I left last week.

And the pepper plants I over-wintered are all out in the middle of the backyard.

Maybe my neighbor will think to cover the plants, she was going to water them for me.

Otherwise, I am *so* screwed!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Warm thoughts going your plants' way.

Hopefully the wind will keep up and you don't live in a holler.

John!

Penel>

Reply to
GA Pinhead

When I lived in Arkansas the same thing happened to all my cabbage, cauliflower, etc. I put a fence around them to keep the rabbits out and replanted. The second planting made it. Nor I plant one clove of garlic at the beginning of the row and one at the end of the row, and one between each plant.

I wont promise you that, that is the solution, but In the 5 years I have been doing it, I haven't lost a cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, etc to rabbits.

Reply to
Dwayne

Just the bases of the stalks now... :-( Looked like caterpillars initially, but sevin did not kill whatever was doing it. The planter is 3' tall so I doubt it was bunnies.

I might just try container growing them in 1 gallon pots and keep 'em inside the greenhouse!

Reply to
Katra

Hmmmmm... I've read that Garlic is a good insect repellant also. And, I have some sprouting cloves in the 'frige. I'll have to try that. ;-)

Thanks for the reminder!

Reply to
Katra

Rodents? They climb. Chipmunks?

JOhn!

Reply to
GA Pinhead

It's possible that squirrels did it, but initially they just ate the leaves, then the center of the leaves, then the rest of it. It really looked like moth larvae damage and I did find a single worm that first day and squished it, but after that, I hunted both in daylight and around midnight for more worms and could not find any. :-(

I had a similar problem last fall and sevin took care of it.... so I'm wondering what I may be missing?

These poor baby plants were only about 6" tall.

The chard has a little bit of munching on it but is in good shape for the most part, but the chard is also mature!

Reply to
Katra

squirels have eaten mine. try sprinkeling blood meal around them

Reply to
Barbara Foss

Really??? :-)

Ok, thanks! I will. It's a great fertilizer too!

Reply to
Katra

Sure did get the broccoli (squirels) We have a 4 sq garden fenced in. We have lots of the dickens. Have a pecan tree in the back yard. I have seen them many times on top of the fence eating one of my cucumbers. gerrr bad word! B

Reply to
Barbara Foss

Like I said... Squirrel is delicious. ;-)

Reply to
Katra

Hab pepper flakes work good too. They were chewing on our front porch. I put hab flakes on the railings, they went away... Wish I could have seen them walking...

John!

Katra wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead