Fall planting potatoes?

Has anyone ever tried any extensive fall planting of potatoes in AgCanada or USDA Zone 5 or 6? The reason I ask is the fact that we obviously missed some potatoes when digging the 2007 crop and they appeared as volunteers this year. I just dug one volunteer plant today and the yield was very good if not exceptional. I might just try part of a row this fall to see the results.
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b 43 17' 26.75" North 80 13' 29.46" West To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Sounds like you might be on to something. I too had a couple "volunteers" and the one I dug this morning had a few taters on it. Not bad for letting it fend for itself all season. I think the groundhog got most of my main crop, but he hasn't found the volunteers yet..!
I think I'll try overwintering a couple raised beds and see what transpires.
Zone 5, Midwest US.
gonzo wrote:

So when do you dig up potatoes? When the tops start to decline a little, or do you wait until the frost kills them? I planted a bed of potatoes this year for the first time in about 30 or 40 years and I don't remember. (I planted them a little late, so the yield may be low but I don't think that changes when I'm supposed to dig them.)
Bob

We always dig ours after the tops die back. That's when the tubers have grown as big as they are going to get. The yield will depend on the variety you planted. If you planted a short season variety like Yukon Gold you'll be fine as they only take about 80 days but, a really long season potato like Russet will take as long as 135 days. Even small potatoes are delicious, cooked, then add a bit of butter and freshly snipped dill.