Fact or fiction?

Page 2 of 2

I'm the opposite about flowers. I used to just work on getting wildflowers to grow, but when I started growing zinnia's, sunflowers etc for market, I got hooked. I would describe flowers as 'food for the soul.' So now I do both wildflowers and annuals. But I don't do lawn.

My lawn has been destroyed by chickens which are not caged, my vegetable garden is caged. However, I like those european honeybees from Italy they are mild creatures and I like their honey. Bees belong in the natural environment. If they escape in a swarm too bad, prove they belong to me neighbor! Flowers are needed in my garden for the nectar that bees need to survive. I need a variety of flowers that bloom at different times of the year, food for the bees. Roses however provide little in return for the amount of work needed to care for them.
If you don't like Roses, lawns, flowers and honey bees. What do you like in a garden? Rocks and Sand?
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Some times it is just space and intent and if the garden muse gifts you beauty.
http://gardendesignpictures.com/images/garden_design_pictures10.jpg
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

The best library there is, is my my front room. The nearest library is 20 miles away, round trip 40, the gas cost and the drive time and book searching time is a waste of time. If I truly liked the book I would buy it anyways plus the cost of gas and time would go toward a new book delivered directly to my home with free shipping. I would rather have the local governments to provide free wireless internet access to the public and give low cost computers to those that need one. Then close the public libraries along with all police (for profit) stations (truly a waste of tax payers money and a tool for the rich). Todays libraries look like homeless centers. From the Cynic!

I trust no one! WHY do I need roses (thorny weed in my recommended book).
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Huh? I do my search and request on line. Then the book arrives at the library, 2 mi. away, which I need to pass anyway to go to the nursery or food shopping.
My wife is in the process of wrapping "The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency". I would have hated to buy all 9 (?) books. Anyway, I prefer to preview what I buy, and then buy a couple of books a month. This will only last until Aug., when I return to the salt mines of Moria.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." --Abraham Lincoln
--
- Billy
In article

I like the quote. The quote alone is one good reason to keep at least one rose bush alive :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

The bees will thank you ;O)
--
- Billy

Now that name is a blast from the past. He used to post in the alt.permaculture newsgroup many moons ago.

He probably got rich from your postings :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

LOL. Well I did find one of my posts repeated in full (with no attribution) on a commercial site.

19th century market gardeners near Paris used a very similar technique. Adding enough manure or green material to the wood created a hot compost pile underneath the soil. This allowed earlier planting and much higher prices for the early veggies. Steve

What was old then is now new again :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
In article

Right down to putting cloches over the plants. We forgot a lot with the "green revolution".
--
- Billy
In article

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiques/view/victorian_glass_cloches/as070 a185
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Good picture, thanks.
--
- Billy
In article

For $425.15 a pair!!!!! I will take the plastic ones for $10 each at http://www.gardeners.com /
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
In article

I bet they're not collectibles;O)
--
- Billy

Actually my husband and I were discussing the cedar chips versus grass clippings as mulch for the rhubarb. He is thinking that the cedar would be there for a long time. I am thinking that the chips cost money and would get moved into the other parts of the garden. Grass clippings a free and do provide some nutrients for the plants as well as helping to keep the weeds down. We do have about an acre of grass that needs to be mowed regularly.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Cedar chips would be the opposite of grass clippings as a mulch. Are we talking mulch as a ground cover, or mulch as a nutrient? Cedar chips breakdown slowly, making them a good ground cover, but a poor nutrient. Grass clipping break down quickly, making them a quick nutrient source for soil microbes.
--
"wood often contains potentially fungitoxic compounds, which are
deposited in the heartwood. In broad-leaved trees the toxic compounds