Dr. Schwarcz replies

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 25 May 2009 22:20:17 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Yessir, but I want to go on record as saying it was not my intention to bust anyone's balls, but to cut through the constant bullshit with facts. I don't think "you people" are interested in a simple Doo-slappin', that's too dang easy. What I think "you people" are interested in is truth, or as near to it as we (all) can get (as culled from the research).
Always great to hear from you, Charlie. Take care.

Agreed, but the resulting ball-busting is a fringe benefit.

......and accomplishes nothing other than a momentary relief from the frustration of dealing with (insert your own descriptor)
"Some minds remain open long enough for the truth not only to enter but to pass on through by way of a ready exit without pausing anywhere along the route." ---- Elizabeth Kenny

"Pragmatism asks its usual question. "Grant an idea or belief to be true," it says, "what concrete difference will its being true make in anyone's actual life? How will the truth be realized? What experiences will be different from those which would obtain if the belief were false? What, in short, is the truth's cash-value in experiential terms?" ---- William James

And you as well, Steve
Charlie

Oh my, now THAT's research. Home run, Billy.

Several thought occur to me on reading your post.
Does Dr Schwarcz know that you were going to post a private email to a public forum so that anyone can read it?
If, and I stress the 'if', you are really posting what Dr Schwarcz has written to you, then his response to you is simply extraordinary.
Any scientist worth taking note of who responds to an email from a stranger and who using such sloppy thinking to write words like "These "organic" people are paranoid and if a view doesn't fit into their "world view" they think that some conspiracy is afoot. " and that they "could use a little oil for their mental machinery" is of questionable sense.
If he is a serious scientist, he would have been more temperate in his language because he'd be used to the process of peer reviews and know that he'd have to justify everything he says.
I doubt that you emailed him at all or that he responded.

My point, in a different manner.
Charlie

Exactly. Well said.
FarmI wrote:

I don't think he would mind.

Well, if it makes you feel better, think what you will.

I simply sent him a copy of your responses. He is not afraid of you loonies and has probably run into the likes of you before.

Since when are scientists held to such a standard?

Unlike your little group, I don't make things up.
Sherwin

You 'don't think' he would mind??????
If you don't know whether he would mind or not and you didn't ask for his permission to post a private email, then you have no right to do so.

You haven't been paying attention. You could have sent nothing to Dr Schwarcz that I wrote.

Good Lord! Are you really that ignorant?
Enough said.
Go use google and think about what it means for a scinetist doing academic research when you finally find out what peer review means.

So you say. Your credibility is not very high given that you post a supposedly private email without permission.

I wasn't planning to get embroiled in this, but I was in such serious disbelief that someone would think that scientists would have no standards for making conclusions that I had to say that I think someone needs to start watching CSI...specifically CSI Miami cause it has bright colors and lots of movement...and remember if you make conclusions without verifying/explaining the facts that led to your conclusion it's just an OPINION.

stripes, just like most other professions. One thing we have in common is a distain for those who never bothered to learn to think. Unfortunately that is more than 90% of even well educated people. That trait makes us most unpopular at parties and family reunions. If you really want to rile a scientist up, imply his or her work is tainted by conflicts in funding sources that don't actually exist. I certainly don't find the tone or language of Dr. Schwarcz' reply unusual for a casual conversation. We laugh at you all the time.

Tough talk for someone who won't identify themselves. Be quiet and hide in the shadow and we won't laugh too much at you.
Must be "Open Gate Day" at the funny farm. You are obviously not a scientist, for scientists justify their words, and I doubt your education has anything to do with your lack of popularity.
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. Albert Einstein
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein
--

- Billy
A google groups search revelas no previous posts from you. Perhaps you are a sock puppet.

Deliciously funny!
You go on to mention how people have never bothered to learn to think and yet you conclude that I have never talked to a scientist. That is really funny.
I would have thought that anyone who claims to be such a superior being that they have not only learned to think, and possesses such an arrogance that they choose to laugh at others as often as they can would have wondered how it is that a poster, who has not otherwise engaged in this skirmish, would have chosen to mention peer reviews.
I would have expected such a superior being to have hit on the implications of "peer reviews" and wonder why it is that a poster who has otherwise not engaged in the conversation until this time would have even known about peer reviews.
A person who had learned to think should then have wondered, or perhaps even asked, why the casual poster knew of peer reviews. You didn't.
A person who could think would came to a different conclusion than you did.
I doubt your claims to being a scientist. Or, at the very best, it must be years since you had anything to do with academic research.
We come in all

Yes. I too have such a disdain. You claim to think but your conclusions are erroneous. That says you have limited capacity to think and reach a logical conclusion.

I wouldn't find Dr Schwarz's reply unusual between intimates either, but I do find his reply to be extremely odd when used, as claimed, in response to an email from an unknown contact.
But then given that he is also a 'TV personality' then it is perhaps possible that like others of that sort of person in north America then he panders to the lowest common denominator in the interest of ratings because it impacts on his earnings. Perhaps he is as intemperate and lacking in concern for his professional reputation as you seem to think he is.
FarmI wrote:

You seem to dismiss all the comments about Dr. Schwarcz and my reply from him as 'made up' stuff. Why should anyone on this forum believe all the drivel that you and your crew post? None of you have probably read Dr. Schwarcz's books, especially the one 'An Apple a Day' where he gives his views on pesticides. You simply want to dismiss him out of hand and pretend he doesn't exist, or I was not in email contact with him, or the 'not' poster is not a scientist, or on and on. You have presented no arguements that refute what Dr Schwarcz says in his book, but I hope the other folks on this forum get a hold of it and see what he has to say. Then there is Lilah who's only connection with the outer world is via the web. She should try picking up a book, once in a while.
Sherwin

You forgot to mention the TV. I have the internet *and* TV. And you have the nerve to complain about other people's lack of facts...go figure.

Since you have already admitted that you don't know what 'peer review' means, you don't have enough knowledge to know if what I wrote iscomical or not.

Yawn!
DO try reading for comprehension and then take note of who writes what.
*snip*
I'm sure this will be a stupid question, but who is this Dr. Schwarcz? The name is not familiar at all...

For those unfamiliar or who did not follow from the beginning, Dr Joe Schwarz is a noted professor that tries to make science more fun and understandable for the average person. He has a large following in Canada, and is well respected in Montreal. He's a little like Jerry Baker in terms of what he preaches. Some people swear by their methods, others feel they are quacks. Many say Dr. Joe is too liberal and accepting of chemicals in his day to day suggestions.
http://oss.mcgill.ca/schwarcz.php
I've listened to Dr. Joe on CJAD radio Canada and what he says seems to make pretty good sense in most cases, although I certainly would not try to dissuade anyone who prefers an "all-organic" approach to gardening. His topics are not exclusive to gardening, but offers advice on various issues, including nutritional info, dieting, etc.
http://www.cjad.com/shows/19157
By the way, the quoted letter from Sherwin is very similar to how the doctor actually speaks on his show, so it is very likely to be genuine. You can certainly call the show and debate his objectivity on air. It would actually be interesting to hear. ;-)
SteveN
Ok thanks. I have enough TV shows to watch as is, that's why I like being able to see stuff online.
[...]

The question is, does he have a conflict of intere$t that skews his presentations?
--

- Billy
Billy wrote:

The question is that you have so far not proven there are any connections to show his office gets funding from chemical companies.