collecting melon seeds question

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?
Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.
Many thanks, -T
Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon". I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better name. On second thought, that second candidate might be considered rude in some circles. :-D
On 5/20/2016 11:11 AM, T wrote:

You could always try it, it might come out something terrible or something good.
I've done a few of those things and mostly they come out as something terrible. What the heck, go for it.
On 05/20/2016 01:19 PM, George Shirley wrote:

Do I dry them out or something first?
On 5/20/2016 4:07 PM, T wrote:

We always put them between two paper towels and let them dry. Once you plant them you will need to water them frequently too.
Nowadays we just eat seedless watermelon and generally toast and eat the cantaloupe seeds while watching mindless television shows.
On 05/20/2016 04:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:

Thank you!
On 05/20/2016 04:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:

Shell and all?
I eat Pumpkin seeds (they are really squash seeds) all the time, but they are hulled.
On 5/21/2016 2:23 AM, T wrote:

No, we spit out the shell. Just crack them between your teeth and ptoo the shell, chew the innards and do it again.
A beautiful Saturday morning here in Harris Cty, TX, what a change from yesterday's intermittent rain.
I'm trouble shooting a fifteen year old computer and have come to the conclusion that that sucker is truly dead. At least I got all the good stuff off of it. Nothing lasts forever I reckon.
On 05/21/2016 06:56 AM, George Shirley wrote:

Just like a pumpkin seed then.

I do that kind of stuff for a living. Ping me if you need any advice. I fixed the probable last DOS computer in the county last December.
Thank you for helping me with all the gardening stuff! -T

Although I have no experience with any melon crosses, I do know the seeds from the typical cantaloupes we get here in NJ (NOT muskmelons), germinate rather easily. I know this because when I took the top off the compost bin yesterday, the top layer was covered in cantaloupe seedlings.
That said, any fruiting that occurs will be one big crap shoot. Still, if you have the space, garden experiments are always fun.
On 05/23/2016 07:56 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

I will get another one from the store this week and and give it a try!
On 5/23/2016 9:22 PM, T wrote:

Two years ago we pot holed the carcass of a large cantaloupe in one of our fence line beds. A month later it was covered with vines and we harvested three cantaloupes. Somewhat smaller than the original but, IMHO, much tastier than the original. Alas, the seeds from those were planted but did not grow, might have been the heat that year.
That crap shoot paid off but many don't. I'm looking for some beef seeds. <G>

You and me, both.

Unless you are one of the unfortunate folks with Celiac, grow wheat, make seitan. I still eat meat, but a well-seasoned hunk of "wheat meat" is not something I'm averse to - I've had knockwurst that were identical in flavor and texture to the real thing. Not quite going to get there for a plain grilled steak, but any seasoned dish it can be awfully close, and beats the heck out of tofu 10 times out of 10.
On 5/25/2016 6:13 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:

I eat vegetables, make my own bread, mostly whole wheat or multiple grains. I still eat meat, mostly two or three times a week. I've never had faux meat though.
Multiple heart attacks, coronary bypass, diabetes, multiple strokes, etc. I eat what I want, I will soon be 77 years old and, like Frank Sinatra sings, I'm going to do it my way. <G>
I was eating healthy, organic stuff when I had all those strokes.
On 05/25/2016 06:51 AM, George Shirley wrote:

Ha! A valiant effort! Did SWMBO roll her eyes? (I got me one too. The more they love you, the bossier they get.)

Organic "healthy carbs" (there is no such thing) gave me Diabetes.
Get your homocysteine checked. Nag, Nag, Nag.
On 5/26/2016 11:46 AM, T wrote:

We're enrolled in the only five star Medicare Advantage Plan in the United States, Kelsey-Seybold. They take good care of us. I'm in the middle of a prolonged nuclear testing for my heart, it is a PITA but might help with some of the health problems I have.
I've been carrying diabetes around since the early nineties and had my first heart attack even earlier than that. It all comes from eating the white man's food. Luckily I have a grandson who hunts so we get venison, wild pig, etc. occasionally.
On 05/26/2016 10:10 AM, George Shirley wrote:

Hi George,
Yum!
I have a customer that hunts. Sometimes I score some wild meat, but only once or twice a year. The rest of the time, I am on grass fed beef. Have not figured out what seeds that are using to grow them yet. I think they are holding out on me. :-)
And you actually have to ask/demand they check your homocysteine, as they don't make any money off the treatment. It is a sad commentary on our medical establishment, but you have to demand the test anyway. And they will try to talk you out of it. Again, no money involved.
Look up homocysteine on the web. It is probably what was responsible for your strokes and heart attacks. Maybe not, but check the damned thing anyway!
And if it is high and they won't tell you the treatment, I will.
Nag, nag, nag. Hey, nagging is kind of fun! -T
On 05/26/2016 11:15 AM, T wrote:

And you DO NOT want me to tell SWMBO !!!
On 5/26/16 10:10 AM, George Shirley wrote:

I have Kaiser-Permanente which is supposedly a 5 start Medicare Advantage Plan...they treat me very well

On 06/25/2016 12:11 PM, ZZyXX wrote:

I have heard that said several places before.
The big issue is that Big Med is now the number one killer (Death by medical), not heart disease. Big Med just admitted that hospital infections are now the number three killer. So, when do your use them and when to avoid them is the big question.
They have saved my life three times so far. I don't want to die of a hospital infection like my two in-laws or of punctured colon from a scan probe, as did one of my customer's mothers, or a bleed out from rat poison, as did another customers mother, etc. etc. etc.
So when to use them and when to avoid them? The Er doctor who diagnosed me with T2 was dead accurate on all his recommendations (he also was the the one who saved my life twice). The GP I went to, withheld information and I don't think he had clue other that drugs and carbs.
So how to avoid walking in and being carried out in a bag?
There is a lot of fraud in Beg Med: cholesterol testing, flue shot, acid blockers, rat poison, drugs and carbs (T2) yada, yada, yada. Seems to me you are lucky if you find an allopath that "heals" rather than gets rich off of "treating". I do know one. :-)