Can it be true?

Was watching RFDTV news, and they said that Monsanto has/is in the process of shutting down half of its' US cotton operations because not enough of their seed is being planted.
--
What would YOU do for a Klondike Bar?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do not know. Go Hemp.
Bill
<http://www.eartheasy.com/wear_hemp_clothing.htm
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Music look for Wim Mertens
✖
Perhaps I should have clarified that I was hopeful Monsanto is getting the message that consumers are starting to not appreciate their products/business practices. I actually want to try growing my own clothes, so to speak. I can get cotton seeds from Bountiful Gardens, flax linen seeds from Nichols Garden Nursery, and find the phyllostachs(sp?) nuda species of bamboo. Like I don't have enough to do, but what the hell...I need to prove I'm an illiterate redneck hermit after all ;-)

✖

I can't say that the reason is as stated but from their 10-K: "In the fourth quarter of 2007, we sold our U.S. Stoneville ® and NexGen ® cotton seed brands and related business assets (divested cotton businesses) as part of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) approval for the acquisition of Delta and Pine Land Company (DPL)." And : "We plan to improve and to grow our vegetable seeds business. We are applying our molecular and marker-assisted breeding capabilities to our library of vegetable germplasm. Our purchase of the De Ruiter business, a leading protected-culture vegetable seeds company, will allow us to serve our vegetable seeds customers through three dedicated platforms: protected-culture, open field and regional vegetable seed businesses. Our purchase of DPL has expanded our cotton breeding operation. In the future, we will continue to focus on accelerating the potential growth of these new businesses and executing our business plans." "As discussed in Note 27 — Discontinued Operations, in conjunction with the DOJ consent decree received in 2007, we agreed to sell our divested cotton businesses, which were part of the Seeds and Genomics segment. We completed our acquisition of DPL and sold our divested cotton businesses during the fourth quarter of 2007 for $317 million. We also divested certain cotton germplasm that was acquired from DPL’s cotton breeding program, as required by the consent decree. We have retained certain rights to this germplasm. The buyers of these assets are licensed to use our traits in their brands prospectively under a royalty bearing agreement." "Cotton seed and traits net sales increased 41 percent, or $131 million, in 2008. This increase was primarily driven by incremental sales from the DPL acquisition. Further, cotton trait sales increased in India primarily due to higher trait penetration. These increases in cotton seed and traits revenue were partially offset by the decrease in cotton trait sales volume resulting from fewer U.S. cotton acres in 2008 than in 2007."
There's more I won't quote here: http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/secfilings.asp?ric=MON
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Lilah Morgan wrote:

Monsanto and their seed; EVIL. Pure evil.
Add pictures here
✖