Broccoli survived the summer

Broccoli is supposed to be a cool-weather crop, so I planted some along with another winter crop.

The other crop bolted to seed when it got too hot. The broccoli also didn't do much -- until after the (unusually hot) summer. Someone on this -group advised that I shouldn't pull it up, and they were right. Now that it is somewhat cooler, the broccoli is producing tiny heads, which I harvest immediately -- had some steamed for breakfast. Yummm!

Question: Should I cut the broccoli down in height? It's nearly 4 feet high now. I have no idea whether to let it go or "deadhead" it, in the hope it will produce more.

Any broccoli experience -- especially in So.Calif Coastal -- welcome.

Tx

Persephone

Reply to
aspasia

my broccoli is about (give or take) 9 months old and still producing small florets. It has gone through a winter and now into spring. I have to catch the florest early as they tend to flower quickly but still good eating with the flowers. Good steamed, stri fried, roasted & even ok in a tempura batter.

rob

Reply to
George.com