Broccoli Raab Question

About 6 weeks ago, I planted broccoli raab (first time). It is now blooming, and has lots of leaves, but does not have heads like broccoli raab in the grocery story. The weather has mostly been cool so I don't think heat is causing it to bolt, but maybe. Advice? Thanks _________________ John Henry Wheeler Washington, DC USDA Zone 7

Reply to
Compostman

Like broccoli, it likes rich soil. Besides just "growing right", this helps it grow FASTER so it matures before hot weather. Try side-dressing with composted cow manure. The stuff comes out of the bag too wet sometimes, but it's easier to spread when drier, so put it on the surface when you're expecting no rain for a day or two, let it dry a little, and then work it into the soil with a cultivator. Do that also in the area where you intend to plant the fall crop.

If you expect the weather to heat up before the current plants mature, go get some dark window screen and suspend it over the row of plants.

As far as the "heads", the stuff's still great to eat, even without the heads.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

bolts really fast. I do not bother to plant it in the spring anymore. Strictly a fall vegetable, and the last one to get planted in september.

Reply to
simy1