broccoli

Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. What is the breed that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow?

Thanks!

Reply to
Eddie G

No hint of disease- and this was the 2nd season I grew broccoli. I'll chalk it up to soil and growing conditions. Weather wise I'm outside of Philly, and soil wise I have clay dirt that I sprinkled with Miracle Grow.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Eddie G

A lot of things are nicer when they grow rapidly, so perhaps something slowed the broccoli? As we Red Sox fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year!"

Gary Woods

It's not going to be just one variety,

What were your growing conditions last season.

Temperature, water, watering cycle, soil etc.

Any hint of disease?

The odds are very good that you bought something that would have been just fine in less than optimum circumstances. It's a reasonable guess that something other than the variety was the issue.

Reply to
phorbin

If you want a really unusual broccoli, try the Romanesco Broccoli. My wife grew some last year and it's great, a cross between broccoli and cauliflower. We first came across it in a DVD on chaos theory; it's a natural example of fractals. Details at:

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Lordy, lordy... that's like broccoli on acid......it's gorgeous!

I'm having some of that next year, or maybe yet this fall.

Thanks

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
Pavel314

My wife says that she's going to plant them in mid-summer for a fall harvest this year.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314