brambles...training ?

Are you able to train brambles onto a trellis?

I have moved into a house with loads of bramles against a fence, (a the bottom) and as I have children (one of my own and 2 or mor fostered) I am not keen on the idea of a prickly garden, however we g bramble picking each autumn, so I'm wondering about keeping them, bu making them safe.

Any idea's gratefully received. Thanks

-- Purple Hugs

Reply to
Purple Hugs

I've trained them on to trees so I don't see why not. :-)

Give it a shot. You can always kill them later... Personally, I like brambles.

Did not know they were edible??????????

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Thanks, :D That's a good idea to train up tree's too! :) Although m tree's in the garden are too little to be of any use I expect. I'l have a go at training them though. You didn't know they were edible? The fruit? mmm... are we talking sam thing here ? Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

Thanks again

-- Purple Hugs

Reply to
Purple Hugs

No, I did not know you were talking about Blackberries! Brambles here in Texas are a type of Liana. Not related.

I have thornless blackberries here that I planted and I tie them to trellis to control them. Works fine!

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

lol that's regional differences for you eh!?

Thanks, :D

OmManiPadmeOmelet Wrote:

-- Purple Hugs

Reply to
Purple Hugs

Here's what

has to say about brambles:

I knew that berries are prickly from picking berries as a small child. I thought brambles comes from the prickers as in definition two. It never occured to me that the origin of the word would go the other way around - berries to thorns vs thorns to berries.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger